PanelView Plus 1500 "No error message is available." that cannot be closed.

Glad I found you guys and gals, this is my first thread.

I am upgrading a PV+1000 to a PV+1500, and with the new terminal configured and new project dumped into it, will give an error popup that just says "No error message is available" with a yellow triangle with the exclamation point next to the text. This does not occur on startup, but rather 2 minutes to 24 hours after the PV+ is powered up and the application is run.

I have not updated the firmware yet, but it is running 5.10.02.09 and I've got 5.10.16 ready to dump into it. I had read in a previous thread where anything prior to 5.10.11.09 wasn't supported by v20 controllers (which we are running) so I'm thinking that might be it...

However, I am getting the error popup while the PV+ is disconnected from the network (Ethernet) so I don't know if that's the issue. Project and runtime shortcuts are correct (I did not copy from project to runtime because the paths are on different networks so they are different).

I'm kind of at a loss at what to do and any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

update:

update #1: Upgraded firmware to 5.10.16. Now the PV+ will take ~5 minutes to load the application and immediately fault upon displaying it. Same fault, with the "No error message is available" with no way to close the message.

First course of action is to create a new runtime application and try that.

Did you check to see that the Factorytalk version you are using is compatible with that panel Firmware. Rockwell is notorious for compatibility issues.

just checked...

well, it aint pretty, but I'm pretty sure they'll work. 5.10.16 should compatible with FTV version 7 cpr 9 sr 6, so long as the runtime is 5.10 or earlier.

At least that is according to RA's compatibility matrix.

Okay, so I created a new runtime application and transferred it via USB and it opened right up but was missing objects and then threw up the error after about 20 seconds.

*Progress!*

I did notice digging further that the new firmware rev on the PV+ does not support the Windows 2008 server domain authentication (I'm running FTV studio on a Windows 2008 server virtual machine to keep RSlinx enterprise happy and prevent it from giving issues on our PLC server (windows 2012 server).....Hmmm, I wonder if this has anything to do with it.

I recommend scrapping that username if you want help from experts. Nobody, no matter how professional they try to be, is going to work hard for you when you start with an insult.

Are you using PLC-controlled screen navigation ? If you have two Displays with identical Display Numbers, you can get an "no error message available" error when the PLC commands those displays to open.

Have you added any JPG or BMP files ? I've also seen corrupted picture files cause an unlabeled error message, but you should also see a "gray x-out box" in place of the picture.

Neither of these necessarily matches your symptoms; I'm particularly puzzled by the fact that the error occurs when the terminal is disconnected from the network.

Your instinct to re-create the runtime file is of course a good one. I would create a simple test application with a single connection to your controller and see if the terminal can run with that.

Don't rule out a hardware problem that causes a crash. Has that logic module been sitting in storage, or in service previously ?

Sorry!

Sorry Ken, I wasn't trying to be unprofessional, I actually very much prefer the Panelviews compared to the Simatic IPCs and the other touch panels I've used. In fact, I had another username on here, but I no longer have access to that email associated with the account, and I've forgotten it.

As to your questions and suggestions:

I am not using PLC controlled screen navigation.

No jpg or bmp files added.

As to the hardware problem, I concur. This one has been on the shelf in our warehouse for a few years, and it's never been in service, nor is is a refurb.

I have a PV+ 1000 on my test bench that I will also update the firmware on and try the newest created application.

As to your suggestion for a test app, I will get right on it.

I've never seen this issue before, and the only reference to the issue that I can find is another thread from control.com from 2014, citing two knowledgebase articles. One does not seem to exist, and the other doesn't seem to help. Some of the suggestions in that thread suggested changing the max tag update time for each display (which I've tried) but no difference in results.

Thanks for the help!

update

Everything works on the bench PV+1000, so I'm thinking Ken is correct that there is a hardware failure of some sort. I've also tried a known good PV+1500 application on the new PV+1500 and while it does not display the error, it does lock up during display window navigation.

I appreciate all the info and comments everybody, thanks!

The Panelview+1000 and Panelview+1500 use the same logic modules. You can swap out the known working one off the 1000 and install it on the 15" display. You will just need to calibrate the touchscreen after doing so.