slc 5/04 PLC Problem

majd-ghadab

Hello everyone ,
we brought a machine that have allen bradley slc 5/04 PLC and when we run it
the PLC is not working probably the :
BAT led is always ON with red light
FLT led is blinking with red light
DH+ led is blinking with green light
we have replaced the battery and program the PLC through RS232 port again but the problem still exist !
any ideas how to solve this problem ?
and Thanks ...

actually regardless that the programs exist or not ! why the battery led is always on ?!
I know that i lost the program but i reprogrammed the PLC and the problem still exist So,
Do you have a detailed document how to program this plc through rs232 , I may missed something ?
thanks

Let's try some simple stuff first:
1. When you set up your communications to the processor, did Linx "see" the processor? Are you sure the driver is set up properly?
2. What position is your keyswitch in? If it's in RUN, the processor didn't get the program when you tried to program it. It must be in either REM or PROG.

Bright676 is correct; although the BAT light steady red indicates low battery voltage, it is a tell-tail indicating bad/corrupted/missing program.

Do you have a remote rack? Is it powered up?
When you click on the Clear Major Fault button, what happens?

Try turning the key switch to RUN to REM to PROG then back to RUN; I've seen that clear a fault like this.

Last edited:
Of course i Put plc on REM pos when programming it
and after programing finished i change to run mode in software or in PLC both i tried the problem is still exist
but the RSlogix must know if there is an problem in programming ladder code so it must not allow me to program with error code !
any ideas

Reset the plc to default.
To do this pull the processer out and on the back of it touch the Vbb-GND
solder points for about 20 seconds or so.

This will clear every thing out of the processor, reload the program, but put a new battery in first

Do you have a remote rack? Is it powered up?...

Check the IO Configuration & see what racks it has. If you only have one rack and somehow this got corrupted & the PLC thinks you have a second (empty of cards) rack you would get this error. Offline delete the second rack then do a System Comm's download of the correct configuration.

If you do have a second rack, check the 1747-C9 cable at both ends to see if it came unplugged, or check the -C9 for damage in the cabinet that may be breaking comm's to the second rack.

As for the battery LED, check the voltage of the battery, a new battery would be 3VDC.

Hello ..
I have cleaned the rack and short VBB with GND and checked IO configuration and CPU firmware and they ware correct
now only the FLT is blinking and BAT is turned off !
Now only I got this error the remote Power failure of an expansion I/O rack occurred

zip your program and attach it to a post (if your company policy allows). If you cannot do that, take a screen shot of the I/O configuration and share that with us. One rare possibility, assuming that the actual I/O does match the software configuration, is that you have a faulty backplane that is "lying" to the CPU about it's size or the number of slots connected. I have seen this happen once or twice, but do not remember if your error is the same as what I saw.

I have put blanked program in PLC and removed the I/O modules and the Fault still exist
and for I/O configuration I am sure no problem with them cause i checked the numbers on the modules and i read the configuration from PLC to software and they matched
and one other thing to ensure that the configuration is correct , i put random Inputs and outputs configuration and read them through software from plc and the RSlogix correct them as i configured .. so i don't think there is a problem in configuration
anyway the code in attachment

It appears the IO configuration is OK.

I now suspect a faulty SLC CPU, do you have another 5/04 (or 5/05 since your not using the DH+ anyway) on the shelf to swap out? I have seen "anomalies" in the CPU's that don't clear or go away even if you reset it to factory default & replacing the CPU was the only cure.

Another suggestion, under Controller Properties / Compiler: click the Allow Indexing Across Files checkbox - sometimes it comes in handy when online & troubleshooting.