RSLinx Ethernet IP Driver not working with VLAN

BPyles

I am having an issue where we just implemented a VLAN switch (NTRON brand). The switch seems to be working fine. I can ping the devices and also open the web interface. I can also see the devices in Ethernet Devices driver. I cannot see them in the Ethernet/IP driver. I normally use the Ethernet/IP because it automatically produces the IPs available. The devices are on a seperate subnet and gateway as my computer.

Am I only able to use the Ethernet Devices Driver from here on out?

Hopefully that is not too vague if you have any clarifying questions let me know.

The "EtherNet/IP" driver in RSLinx Classic uses a broadcast packet to discover automation devices on the local LAN, so it doesn't work across most routers or VPNs.

I think it's possible to set up VLANs so that they allow broadcast packets to propagate, but I haven't personally done that.

If the devices you're trying to communicate are on a different subnet and have a different gateway address than your PC, then there has to be a router or a router function involved. That suggests that only the standard Ethernet Devices driver will work for your system.

You can use the Ethernet/IP driver, but you need to manually add the devices. They will not autopopulate because, as Ken said, the VLAN will block the discovery broadcast.

You can use the Ethernet/IP driver, but you need to manually add the devices. They will not autopopulate because, as Ken said, the VLAN will block the discovery broadcast.

This is what we have done. OR just use the regular Ethernet driver (not Ethernet/IP) both have worked for us on large VLAN segmented networks.

I've been using virtual machine quite sometimes and my RSlinx had no issue with "ethernet/Ip driver" (auto populate once I key in the exact IP/subnet) before, but just recently when I started upgrading my logix to version 28 and 29 then I have this problem, I totally don't know what happen. If anybody can help, that would be better.

cheers,

Ganie

A virtual machine is a different thing from a VLAN. I'd suggest starting a new thread.

yeah i miss out that, Virtual LAN and Virtual machine are two different topic, anyway until now my Rslinx Ethernet/IP driver still not working I'm using gateway version 3.81. Also i cannot create new topic.

cheers