4-20mA to Modbus TCP

kallileo

Lifetime Supporting Member
A client asked me to connect his milk cooling tanks to PC to monitor and record quanity of milk in the tanks. He believes the workers on the farm are stealing milk.
There are 2 tanks with a milkmeter with 4-20mA output installed on each of them.
I'm thinking of using 2 channel 4-20mA to Modbus TCP and AdvancedHMI.
Another option would be using Arduino but I would prefer 12bit resolution for analog input.
I have never used this type of converters before and will need help choosing one.

Last edited:
I would like to offer a more robust solution.
Farm environment is very harsh and I don't think a usb recorder will be able to survive there for long time. The manager should be able to monitor the quantity from his office in real-time and it also should be recorded into a file.
Farm manager's office is pretty far from the milking room where the tanks are installed.
This why I want to have the converter installed near the tanks and then just use Ethernet cable to connect to farm's switch.

I like Diat150 Adam 6017 solution. We use series 4000 and 6000 units in the food industry and they wor very well for many years.