Question mark on newer CLX in ethernet tree

ASF

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,

I was at a site last week with my colleague, and we had to do a download to a Control Logix running v23 firmware. I asked him to do it, but when he tried he got a compile error about an invalid producer for a consumed tag. Further investigation showed that the invalid producer was a CompactLogix L16ER-BB1B running v24 firmware. In the ethernet tree of his PC, it showed up as a yellow question mark and <unknown>, and he couldn't right click on it to look at any properties. His laptop did not yet have v24 of Studio 5000 installed, so that would account for why it showed up this way. He could go online and make edits fine, but when trying to download, obviously it had to re-compile this connection and threw an error.

We used RSLinx to upload the EDS file from the device, and at that point it showed up with the correct icon in RSLinx instead of the question mark, but it still won't show up in Studio 5000.

I thought perhaps we needed to download and install the add-on profile for the compact logix, so I went to the rockwell website and looked for an AOP. All I could find that looked relevant was the 1769 embedded I/O. We downloaded that, but when we went through the installation process it said that a newer version of everything was already installed.

I know that we can just install v24 of Studio and the problem will probably go away, but I'd like to find a solution that doesn't involve that for next time, because if I find myself in that situation without access to the software, that may not help me. Can anyone suggest anything else to try?

Thanks!

Did you check the device properties once you uploaded the EDS? Were the module parameters in your project correct to what was physically there/located at that IP?

Yes, they were all correct. Everything looks as it should in RSLinx now, just not in Logix Designer.

To update, I've spoken to Rockwell tech support and they tell me that it's definitely the missing AOP that's the issue, and also that the only way to get the AOP's for the controllers is to install the relevant version of studio. This does seem like a bit of an obvious flaw, can anyone confirm that there is no other way to get the AOP's?

To update, I've spoken to Rockwell tech support and they tell me that it's definitely the missing AOP that's the issue, and also that the only way to get the AOP's for the controllers is to install the relevant version of studio. This does seem like a bit of an obvious flaw, can anyone confirm that there is no other way to get the AOP's?

The only thing I can confirm is that when I tried to recreate your scenario in v23, it was fine regardless of what I changed, because I also have v24 installed. Good to know for my own reference that this can be an issue with the Studio stuff though.