Factory talk view machine edition help

PERSPOLIS

HI EVERYONE
I have edited an application in FTVME version 6.1, made some changes with new name. the mer file created. Can somebody tell me what is wrong here because this file do not exist in the list upon selection and opening the file .
Thanks a lot
Perspolis

Creating a *.MER file doesn't change the name of the Application file that you started with. The list of Applications you can open when you start up FactoryTalk View Studio won't change.

Or are you asking about the list of available *.MER applications that you can select when you start up the Runtime ? FactoryTalk View Runtime only looks in the specific \Runtime folder for the runtimes it will make available.

You could reimport the .mer file (if you allowed this upon creation) to get a copy of the program, under the new name, in FT View Studio ME.

Thanks to Ken Roach and einnh for their replies.
I have to re-write my question as follows:
I have edited an application in FTVME version 6.1, made some changes with new name and runtime file with new name created (in run time folder),application is closed. In the application manager I can not restore the newly renamed application and this message is displayed: THIS RUNTIME APPLICATION FILE WAS SAVED IN A PROTECTED FORMAT THAT DOES NOT ALLOW CONVERSION TO A DEVELOPMENT APPLICATION. Please explain what do I have to do to retrieve it because software would allow restore function from *.mer file (run time file).
Thanks a lot in advance
Regards Perspolis

When you create a runtime application you go to Application / Create Runtime Application and the dialog box that comes up has (3) radio buttons near the bottom (in the area called:
'Conversion to Development application'.
Those (3) radio buttons:
1 Always allow conversion
2 Never allow conversion
3 Conversion protected by password.

If you select the first one, you can easily convert to a development application.
If you select the second, No Conversion is ever possible!
If you select the third, conversion ONLY with password.

HI
The first option is grayed out. I explored the software and I do not see any option to allow me to change.
Thanks
Regards perspolis

What version runtime file are you trying to create? I don't think that some of the early versions of runtime supported "always allow conversion" (although I'm not completely sure, others will know better than me). Is the button available if you try to create a newer version runtime file?

I don't understand the logic behind making edits to the project, saving it as a Runtime, then attempting to use Project Manager to re-create the project on the same computer.

You already have the edited project; it's what you created the Runtime from in the first place.

Do not treat *.MER files as a repository for your projects. Create Archive files (*.APA) using the Project Manager utility.

v4 and earlier never allowed conversion (Altho there is a workaround in the RA Knowledgebase) I agree to always make the archive that is just a backup if someone wasn't so nice.

Ok so you have made the changes now you need it on your screen?? or... what are you trying to accomplish?