Machine Edition 90-30 woes

NetNathan

Lifetime Supporting Member
I just don't think ME is well suited for 90-30 logic.
When I convert from LM90 to 90-30, I can sort of under stand the issues. (it is nowhere near as bad as PLC5 to RSlogix 5000 conversions)
It makes Arrays out of my consecutive registers (even when "Auto Alias Variables" is "Disabled")...arghh.
It also changes some my DINT instructions to words???? If the math block is a DINT instruction, why make the DINT register a word?? Even ME knows that a Word cannot be used as a DINT....it tells me that when I verify.

So I get the conversion all straightened out and download the corrected logic.
I can monitor and online edit....no problems
Now comes the ROYAL pain....If I ever have to upload it comes up with the Arrays again and the DINTs are turned back into Words....HUH?

Anyone else having these issues, or know workarounds?

I've not seen that before?
Could be that the CPU you have there is too old and needs its firmware updated?
Else make sure you never need to upload by controlling who/when edits are made and backups are maintained.

BTW, you can tell PME to flag data types as warnings instead of errors and a DWORD will be treated the same as a DINT.

BTW, you can tell PME to flag data types as warnings instead of errors and a DWORD will be treated the same as a DINT.

I will try that.
It does not even make a DWORD out of the DINT.....It converts the DINT to a WORD??

It could well be the CPU firmware revision. Some of the 90-30 units I am working on are 15+ years old.

Last edited:
I will try that.
It does not even make a DWORD out of the DINT.....It converts the DINT to a WORD??

It could well be the CPU firmware revision. Some of the 90-30 units I am working on are 15+ years old.

Updating the firmware is easy and worst case about a $140 chip for CPU340 and below or for CPU350 and above a no cost download and 10 minutes or less.

Last edited:
I am doing 3 conversions today of 90-30 from LM90 to Machine Ediition.

How do I keep it from making arrays out of my registers???

I get 380 errors where it says:
Error 8036: Address '%R02001' on 'R02001' is already used on 'R02000[01]'
Error 8036: Address '%R02002' on 'R02002' is already used on 'R02000[02]'
Then it goes on to next register in sequence.

I even get these errors..
Error 8036: Address '%R00332' on 'R00332[0]' is already used on 'R00331[1]'

It does not make an array out of all the registers, I am using near to 3000.

In Options>Controller>General I have "Auto Alias Variables" set to disabled.
Is there another setting I am missing?

Last edited:
I do not believe that you can prevent the Arrays, but they are not hard to change back if needed.
For Error 8036, you should not get that if you set the PME Option parameter to allow "Duplicate Address" to 'Warn' or 'Ignore'. Same location as above.

You really need to take some time to get familiar with all the tools and option that you have at your disposal in PME.
We are promised that these will be easier to find in the coming release, Version 9.00, we shall see next month.

According to the online help file:
Error 8036: Address '[reference address]' on '[variable name]' is already used on '[other variable name]'

Possible cause #1

Two non-STRING variables of the same data size (1, 8, 16, 32, or 64 bits) have been mapped to the same reference address in the same scope.
Possible cause #2

Two STRING variables have been mapped to the same reference address in the same scope.
Possible solutions for either cause

• Remap either variable to another memory location.
  • If you want a reference address conflict to result in a warning instead of this error, or if you want no warning or error at all, edit the Duplicate Addresses option. See To edit the Controller General options.

"For Error 8036, you should not get that if you set the PME Option parameter to allow "Duplicate Address" to 'Warn' or 'Ignore'. Same location as above."

I would do this....but.... In my logic it will show R1000 [1] with no variable description, because the variable description is on R1001...

"For Error 8036, you should not get that if you set the PME Option parameter to allow "Duplicate Address" to 'Warn' or 'Ignore'. Same location as above."

I would do this....but.... In my logic it will show R1000 [1] with no variable description, because the variable description is on R1001...
That is irrelevant, try it.

Now if you have a problem that you are not telling us that's another story. If you can zip and e-mail the LM90 program so that I can see what is happening I may have a better answer.

I have done dozens of these and have never needed to spend more than about 30 minutes cleaning up a conversion. Usually less than 10 minutes.
But I always make sure that the 90-30 is of the proper version to use Profecy ME first.

That is irrelevant, try it.

Now if you have a problem that you are not telling us that's another story. If you can zip and e-mail the LM90 program so that I can see what is happening I may have a better answer.

I have done dozens of these and have never needed to spend more than about 30 minutes cleaning up a conversion. Usually less than 10 minutes.
But I always make sure that the 90-30 is of the proper version to use Profecy ME first.

I am trying to bring LM90 7.2 into Proficy ME 9.5 and need help on the correction process of variables and settings on auto aliasing etc... can you help me?