Modicon m340 and opc

achille

hi everybody
i need to develop an application where i must make archiving in access database of some variables of the unity pro software of modicon m340 plc.
the idea was to reach it through vb.net application as client and opc server.
i can't use OFS because i need free opc server .

have you any idea about this ??:unsure:

Any OPC server that supports Modbus should work. OFS can give significant performance improvements over standard Modbus, but since the requirement is free performance is obviously not a significant criteria.

Inductive Automation has (used to?) a free OPC UA implementation. Also a google search showed some other options.

Have you seen the free HMI discussed on the forum? It has a ModbusTCP driver, and maybe someone even has DB code... or perhaps all that is needed is the db code added to the base app. Might cut your develop time way down, and no OPC needed.

There are some other apps discussed on here that are relatively inexpensive as well.

hi everybody
thanks robertkjonesjr for replying.the plc i must work on has 2 port ethernet and modbus

wich one i must use for modbustcp

I think any of the Ethernet ports will work ModbusTCP. It would be helpful if you detail the processor you are using and any Ethernet modules that are included as they have different capabilities (i.e. NOE, NOC, etc). However, for server messaging, I recall all Ethernet capable devices will work, including the one on the Processors.

hi
i am still trying to read values from modicon m340 via opc server OFS 3.34.the client is vb.net has anyone a sample of code to do it

thanks in advance

hi archie

i am using the ethernet port to communicate and i want read values such %MW0.
i can see that you have you used rslinx as opc server,when i tried to convert the code using OFS ( opc server of schneider ) i got some errors :confused:
i am a little bit stuck

i can see that you have you used rslinx as opc server,when i tried to convert the code using OFS ( opc server of schneider ) i got some errors :confused:
i am a little bit stuck
I do not use OPC very much, so I can only provide some limited help. What errors are you getting? Do you have the OPC .NET SDK?

Achille,

use the OFS configuration tool to create a new device alias.
for device address select UNITY and enter the IP address of the device
you can either supply the xvf/xsy/stu file as the symbol file parameter or use the data dictionary instead. You will have enable the data dictionary in unity in the project settings.

That should be all that is required. I used this tool to create the device servers in citect:
http://www.unitypro-experts.us/u2v-vjc-bldr#OFSOPC

In the end we are using plain old mobus on located tags with citect anyway, but it was nice during development of the HMI to not have to address all the tags until the very end.

hi everybody

thanks V0N_hydro for replying.

i dont have problem with OFS configuration i already can read device in OFC client,i still have problem with vb code to read values from unity pro.i cant find OpcNetApi.dll :(