RSView32 VisualBasic help!

madrofl

hey guys. i'm new at RSView32 and trying to write VB codes for basic actions like multistate color. But i cant find a helpful link. if u guys have good sources or examples about VB for Rsview pls help me! :geek:

welcome to the forum ...

i'm new at RSView32 and trying to write VB codes for basic actions like multistate color

quick question: why? ... RSView32 already has built-in multistate indicators which will probably be a lot simpler to use than anything you could write in Visual Basic ...

but ...

if you're doing this just for a project to get used to Visual Basic (at least the way that RSView32 uses it) then see if this idea helps ...

if you load the SAMPLES project that comes with RSView32, there are quite a few examples built in to the system ... most of this is concerned with moving data around – but maybe the general ideas will help get you started ...

vb samples.jpg

thank u for your replies. really appreciated. i know its maybe unnecessary to use VB because there are lots of tools in RSView32. but still it's a powerfull tool in my opinion and can be useful for some projects.

Pedantic I...

There is a Multistate Indicator available for RSView32, but it is not built-in...

PanelBuilder provides a built-in MultiState Indicator object, as does FactoryTalk View ME and SE. However, RSView32 was not so lucky.

To rectify this, a few years ago, they released an ActiveX control for RSView32 to provide users with a type of add-on MultiState Indicator. Like any ActiveX control you must download, install and register the control file. They are usually dll or ocx files. In this case the control file is "Multistate_Indicator.ocx".

You can find a download link to the latest version of the MultiState Indicator ActiveX control for RSView32 in this Knowledgebase technote, which also confirms the above...

22856 - MultiState Indicator for RSView32
Access Level: Everyone

If you already have that ActiveX control installed, well then, super, but another point to note, seeing as you specifically mentioned wanting to manipulate MultiState Indicator colours...

You cannot assign different colours to the blink animation for this control, even using VBA. This is a commonly sought after feature, but alas, not available. It is fixed at Black.

As well as the samples project that Ron kindly mentioned, attached is a reference guide for writing good VBA code.

Regards,
George

sorry if I was misleading – but the "multi-state indicator" that I was thinking about involved using a "Color" animation for something like a rectangle or circle ... basically you can define several different colors to the object – and then invoke them by using something like a changing analog tag value ...

a simple example is shown below ... while in the RUN mode, changing the value in the Numeric Input from 0 to 1 to 2 will cause the fill color to change from Red to Yellow to Green ...

so ...

I guess you could say that it's not really "built-in" – but it doesn't take anything as involved as Visual Basic to make it change colors ... since the OP specifically mentioned "basic actions like multistate color" I think that this suggestion might meet his purposes ...

all is well ... no offense taken - nor intended ...

Color_Change_2.PNG

Last edited:
Yes, true on you Ron.

I suppose we all take slightly different slants on what we read, or thought we read?

But we are both talking about different things here...

When you mentioned "multistate indicators" I had thought the OP had mentioned similarly, but looking again they had not. Indicator was not mentioned at all, just "multistate color".

So your take on them meaning multistate colours for a general object would indeed appear more fitting to their request.

I thought ye were both referring specifically to a Multistate Indicator, which is an object that allows you to assign user defined string messages according to a tag value. This is what I am referring to as not built-in for RSView32.

Your suggestions of applying different colour animation to an object, based on tag values, is very much built-in.

So yes, I would say that your use of the term "multistate indicators" while referring to the above, is somewhat misleading. Or at least it is to me.

Your term turned my light bulb on, which can be dim at times. But with all this terminology floating around in our heads it's quite easy to pull one out that seems to fit the bill, or even unbeknownst to ourselves.

The irony is that it's probably my addition that has caused more confusion in the end and ye would have happily plodded along fully understanding each other.

Peace out...

G.