DLR and SCADA with Compactlogix

smiller

I am looking into implementing Ethernet I/O on an upcoming project. My question is: What is the best method to have Ethernet I/O AND a separate network for the SCADA system with a Compactlogix PLC? Since the Compactlogix only allows a single subnet network connection I am unsure how to get connectivity to both separate networks with a Compactlogix. does anyone have experience with this type setup?

A few years ago we did what you described. We use an L45 with 2 1768-ENTBs (I think that the part number). Just remember you have to mount the Ethernet modules to the Left of the controller.
This allowed remote IO on one network and the SCADA for other.

I am looking into implementing Ethernet I/O on an upcoming project. My question is: What is the best method to have Ethernet I/O AND a separate network for the SCADA system with a Compactlogix PLC? Since the Compactlogix only allows a single subnet network connection I am unsure how to get connectivity to both separate networks with a Compactlogix. does anyone have experience with this type setup?

You will need the 1783-NATR device. This will break out a port on your DLR network for a SCADA port, and it will allow you to use NAT to map your PLC IP address (say 192.168.1.10) to the SCADA network IP address say (10.10.1.10).

Previous posts apply to the older CompactLogix controllers.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/pp/enet-pp011_-en-p.pdf

Thanks Paully. The NATR looks like what I need. I wanted to avoid the 1768 controllers since they are not being supported in the newer versions of Logix.

:geek: Good knowledge right there. Any specific reason the example architecture on the pamphlet shows two NAT modules? Or than to show they can be piggybacked?

:geek: Good knowledge right there. Any specific reason the example architecture on the pamphlet shows two NAT modules? Or than to show they can be piggybacked?

It is showing two machines that have identical IP addresses. Its showing that you can have completely duplicate machines, IP addresses included, and use the 1783-NATR device to make them unique to the plant network. This means an OEM can supply whatever network configuration they want. In the past the OEM would have to be assigned IP addresses from the plant.

The 'other' device that is connecting to the DLR network to the LOCAL HMI, well that is not a 1783-NATR, that is a 1783-ETAP. The ETAP doesn't do NAT, it's simply there to breakout the DLR network to a non-DLR device like an HMI. Or to extend the network to a non-DLR section of that local network, perhaps a switch.

Last edited: