S7-200 Communication problem

pjadha

Hello someone please help me. I am trying to connect online on S7-200CN CPU- 226 CN. I have Micro/win software installed in my Laptop. I have MPI communication cable. I set my PG/PC interface on PC Adaptor(MPI) cable with USB setting. Then I double clicked to refresh (In communication window) but I got error message every time that is "Port could not be opened or is being used by another application." I have total 2 ports on PLC PG0 & PG1. I tried with both ports. Also I tried restarting PLC power but same error is occurring. Please support me.

Siemens Simatic S7-200 uses PPI interface, not MPI.

Some S7-200s however are capable of communication through MPI as well, but coming out of the factory you should use PPI first to configure the possibility to communicate over MPI. Default factory setting is PPI.

Modern MPI converters can also deal with PPI, so in case you have an adapter of this kind, simply set it to PPI first and then try to connect to the PLC.

CN versions also have some other problems: I believe that if Chinese is not installed as one of the interface languages for your Step 7 MicroWIN you can't do anything with the PLC. There were some thread about this on this forum.

Thanks Mr.jvdcande for your valuable reply. I have PC Adapter model no - "6ES7972-0CB20-0XA0" Can this work as PPI interface? I checked in siemens manual but I didn't find anywhere that I can use this MPI adapter as PPI too. So as per your experience please tell me can I use it for PPI communication. Also what is exact meaning of error "Port could not be opened or is being used by another application."??????
My CPU is 226 CN.

6ES7972-0CB20-0XA0 is an MPI adapter and cannot be used as a PPI adapter.
PPI adapter PN is 6ES7 901-3CB30-0XA0.
Hi, :p
This cable 6ES7972-0CB20-0XA0 work with simatic 200/300/400.(works even with cpu 226 CN).
PG/PC interface -->PC adapter(ppi) --->proprety -->com=USB.
Hope this help.

Some S7-200s however are capable of communication through MPI as well, but coming out of the factory you should use PPI first to configure the possibility to communicate over MPI. Default factory setting is PPI.

Modern MPI converters can also deal with PPI, so in case you have an adapter of this kind, simply set it to PPI first and then try to connect to the PLC.

CN versions also have some other problems: I believe that if Chinese is not installed as one of the interface languages for your Step 7 MicroWIN you can't do anything with the PLC. There were some thread about this on this forum.
Thanks Mr.jvdcande.Your solution works. Now I am able to communicate to S7 200 CPU 226 CN with MPI adapter ("6ES7972-0CB20-0XA0") by selecting PG/PC interface -->PC adapter(ppi) --->proprety -->com=USB. It is working good. No issue.

Hello Sir,

I have S7-200CN CPU226CN. I have Micro/win software installed in my Laptop. I have MPI communication cable. I set my PG/PC interface on PC Adaptor(MPI) cable with USB setting. I want to take backup from PLC to my Programming Laptop (Backup Upload). I done everything and reached to backup uploading finish but at last moment I got some windows error and stopped backup uploading process. I tried with different laptop with different Windows XP OS but I am failed.
Can you please help me in this regards......
The error is
"Siemens STEP 7-Micro/WIN 32 has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

I think you should use Micro win SP9.. check your PC/PG in control panel then choose Adaptor PPI ....then refresh your communication...edit 19200 kb/s rate by 9600kb/s

normally...the driver of adapter will be auto recognized...but sometime u must be installed the driver (Adapter USB MPI A2)...

Last edited: