Datalogic barcode scanner and s1200 PLC

mafura1

Hi,

I'm new to PLC programming and I have been playing around with the Siemens s1200 plc. I have been given a task to connect a gryphon d100 barcode scanner to the plc and display the barcode characters on an HMI using the TIA portal. I have never done this application before and I do not know where to even begin. Can some one point me in the right direction just as a starting point. I will be using profinet com.

Thanks in advance

Hi all,

I have managed to setup the tcp connection from the plc side and can actually connect to it using the Hercules setup utility. I know this might sound silly, but I would like to know how can I get the barcode information to display on an hmi? I have never done such an application and I will really appreciate your input. For now I just want to read and display a barcode on the hmi.

Thanks in advance

Do you want to display the barcode text string, or the actual image?

If you want to display the string, you should be able to make a String type tag, and link it to wherever the string is stored in the PLC.

Thanks for the response mk42. In the s1200 plc where will the barcode text string be stored? Or how do I check that? I don't know what steps I need to follow for this...

Thanks for the response mk42. In the s1200 plc where will the barcode text string be stored? Or how do I check that? I don't know what steps I need to follow for this...

You said above that you had set up communications with the barcode scanner, so I had assumed that the communication between the barcode scanner and PLC was already working.

That is the first step. the barcode string would come in as part of that communication. It will probably be an array of characters, which you would have to convert to a string. There is a function for that under string functions in the extended instructions.

Once you have the string in the PLC, you can display it on the HMI.

As, gclshortt said, it all depends on how the barcode scanner communicates. If it is a USB device, you can probably plug it straight into the HMI. You said it was TCP, so I'm assuming you need to do the communication from the PLC.

Ok my bad,
I meant to say that I setup the tcp for the plc and tested it with hercules and it was fine. I also setup tcp for the barcode scanner and tested it and that was also fine. But I did not combine them together, that's where I am stuck but I will try what you have said and see how far I get.
Regards