Running Virtual Machine

I have two laptops that I use for RSLOGIX. One is an older Dell with windows 7 pro, and the newer Dell has windows 10. Everything works great on the windows 7 pro. I can run Rslogix 5000 on the windows 10, but not Rs networx or factory talk studio. I use the older laptop for the field and the new one is for personal/ business. The newer one has the license file, I networked them together so that they can share the license file. I Was thinking about installing vmware on the newer one with windows 7 pro. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks
Thomas

Hey Thomas, I think you'll find that many, many people run their automation software in a VM exactly like you are suggesting.

Correct, each VMware virtual machine needs it own Windows license. If you work for a larger company you might have your own Windows Activation Server which means you don't have to purchase anything yourself, the company would have a pool of licenses you could draw from. If not, then, you would need to buy a standalone license.

OG

I run a vmware copy of windows 7 pro for all my AB software, on a windows 7 ultimate laptop. Once you have setup your VM correctly where it has access to all the correct ports, I found it works pretty flawlessly.

Windows 10 is obviously newer, and I've yet to hear very much talk about people using it for automation software. I am interested to see how it goes for you.