ET200S hot swap or not?

PontEL

Hi,
I have a Siemens CPU 315-2DP and want to replace a 2-wire card (134-4GB01-0AB0). This card is mounted on a "ET 200S (IM151)" according to HW config.

Is it correct that I can not hot swap this card? What will happen if I do?

I have OB82 and OB86 but this link says I must have IM153:
https://support.industry.siemens.com/cs/#document/1826766/how-do-you-configure-the-%22change-module-during-operation%22-and-the-%22removeplug-alarm%22-functions-in-an-et-200m?dti=0&lc=en-WW

Other people just say "yes you can how swap on ET200S", but don't say anything about IM-version.

Must I power down the whole IO-node, replace, and then power up? It looks easy to just remove the card and insert a new one but I rather power down the profibus node if I must, compared to stop the whole PLC by misstake.

Last edited:
One more thing...
The card I want to replace is actually an 314-4GB00-0AB0 and my new card is 314-4GB01-0AB0. But I was hoping I could change this card without downloading any new HW config. Am I correct?

At least when I replaced the IMs on the same node last year it was okay to do so with them, they still worked but I could not use the new features.

First of all, that link is for ET200M, not ET200S. Different IO family. It is possible that there is a basic or old ET200S IM that doesn't support hot swapping, but without your part number I couldn't say how yours works.

Siemens IO is almost always spare parts compatible with its older versions. That essentially means that if the HW Config tells it that it is the old module, it will behave as if it is. However, the support site doesn't have the delivery release for that particular module, so I can't say for sure that your two modules will work fine.

Okay sorry did not see that...

My IM151 part number says 151-1AA03-0AB0. But I replaced it 1-2 years ago with a newer one. I think it was 151-1AA05-0AB0, but HW config is still 1AA03.

Can you say something more with that info?

I cant remember the PLC went in stop mode when we lost the whole node (why we upgraded the 1AA03-version) so it feels strange that it would go in stop just by removing the AI-card but I dont like taking a chance either.

If you want to be sure, I'd recommend asking Siemens. A quick search on their support site didn't list any info saying that it WASN'T supported by that module, but I didn't see anything saying that it IS supported, either.

If no one knows I might power down the node, it's better than stopping the whole PLC.

But would that not be strange, that it is ok to loose a whole node but if a card is removed it goes into stop?

I now remember that when we had problem with the early version om the IM, we powered down the node and added some new cards and when powered up it didnt work. One time it came up after an hour or so, next time it never came back (until we changed to a newer version). Im pretty sure I didn't have to change any PLC from Stop to Run mode...

But would that not be strange, that it is ok to loose a whole node but if a card is removed it goes into stop?

My guess is that its probably fine either way. But that's just a guess.

As far as I know, the hot swapping function isn't about whether it stops the PLC or not, it is whether or not you take down the whole rack by taking out one card.

If no one knows I might power down the node, it's better than stopping the whole PLC.

I now remember that when we had problem with the early version om the IM, we powered down the node and added some new cards and when powered up it didnt work. One time it came up after an hour or so, next time it never came back (until we changed to a newer version). Im pretty sure I didn't have to change any PLC from Stop to Run mode...

Can you load OB-error blocks to CPU, then it won't go to stop even failure.

How long profibus cable and speed?
Too fast setting for long cable can have connection problems after disconnecting.