Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum

I think that Factory Talk View requires the RSLinx Gateway version. Also check the price of Factory Talk View. Sit down before you do, hearing that price is not for the faint of heart.
Hi, I think that I may have that version, how can I tell?

If you have RSLinx available, start it up, and click on the top "Help" button, then click "About". It will tell you the version of RSLinx that is running. The versions were at one time: Lite, Standard, Professional, and Gateway, but these things change rapidly.

If you have RSLinx available, start it up, and click on the top "Help" button, then click "About". It will tell you the version of RSLinx that is running. The versions were at one time: Lite, Standard, Professional, and Gateway, but these things change rapidly.
It says RS Linx classic gateway, sounds good.

FactoryTalk View RSLinx Classic or Enterprise?

Let's be clear here guys...

Firstly...

Because you are only starting out here, terminology is important to get right, especially when looking for help here on the Forum...

Padraic said:
...I also have been advised to check that my controller can communicate with factory talk over my serial connection. is there a simple way to test this before I proceed any further?...

The term "FactoryTalk" relates to a whole host of Rockwell software products and tools, either as prerequisites to other Rockwell Software, or as stand-alone applications. The prefix "FactoryTalk" or "FT" is to Rockwell as the prefix "Windows" or "Win" is to Microsoft.

A little introduction to the FactoryTalk world...

FactoryTalk Services Platform (FTSP) is a suite of applications which provide the basic platform for the FactoryTalk environment. FTSP provides a shared or common platform for other applications within other suites to utilize the same software components and services among the many other available software products. (I sound like I'm selling something?).

It can include some or all of the following:

FactoryTalk Services Platform:
_FT Administration Console (FTAC)
_FT Activation Manager (FTAM)
_FT Directory (FTD)
_FT Security (FTS)
_FT Diagnostics (FTD)
_FT Audit (FTA)
_FT Live Data (FTLD)
_FT Alarms and Events (FTAE)

Then there are FactoryTalk application suites for various functions. Each of these will utilize some or all of the above FTSP components:

Asset Management:
_FT AssetCentre (FTAC)

Production Management:
_FT Production Centre (FTPC)
_FT Batch (FTB)
_FT Scheduler (FTS)

Data Management:
_FT Historian SE (FTHSE)
_FT Historian Classic (FTHC)
_FT Transaction Manager (FTTM)
_FT Gateway (FTG)

Performance & Visibility:
_FT Metrics (FTM)
_FT EnergyMetrix (FTEM)
_FT VantagePoint (FTVP)
_FT ViewPoint (FTVP)
_FT View Site Edition (FTVSE)
_FT View Machine Edition (FTME)
_FT Portal (FTP)

Design & Configuration:
_RSLogix 5
_RSLogix 500
_RSLogix 5000
_Studio 5000
_RSLinx Classic
_RSNetWorx for DeviceNet, ControlNet & EtherNet/IP
_Connected Components Workbench
_DriveExecutive
_DriveExplorer

...and so on.

That is not an exhaustive list, but as much as I can recall from memory. They are most of, if not all of, the key software products that Rockwell offers at present. (Yes, definitely sound like a salesman now!)

That leads us on to this...

Secondly...

Padraic said:
...Yes I have to have an operator interface too...

OK, so you intend adding a HMI. If we are to assume this will be an AB HMI, such as a PanelView Plus, then the "Factory Talk" you/they are most likely referring to is FactoryTalk View Studio (FTVS).

FTVS is the application development software for the PanelView Plus family of HMI. FTVS for Machine Edition (ME) is the most commonly used for stand-alone setups between a HMI, referred to as a terminal, and a controller. The OS that is run on standard terminals is called Machine Edition Runtime (MER). FTVS software creates the MER application file that is transferred to and run on the terminal.

While you are developing your application in FTVS, you must set up the communication configuration that will be used between the MER application and the controller, when the MER file is running on the terminal. In FTVS, this will be the working, or "Runtime (Target)" Communication Setup.

Also, while developing your application in FTVS, you can setup a temporary, or development communication setup between your PC that's running FTVS and the controller. In FTVS, this is known as the Design-time, or "Design (Local)" Communication Setup. You can then use this Design-time communications setup to browse for tags or addresses in the controller to assign to your application's objects on display screens, such as buttons and indicators, readouts, etc.

You can then also use this Design-time communications setup to test your application from FTVS i.e. your PC to the controller. You do this by using Test Application in FTVS. The application then loads and runs in a window as if it is running on the terminal itself. This allows you to test and debug your application, all before transferring to the terminal for proper use.

Thirdly...

Just to clear this up...

Lancie1 said:
I think that Factory Talk View requires the RSLinx Gateway version...

Padraic said:
It says RS Linx classic gateway, sounds good.

I'm sorry Lancie, but this is a bit wide of the mark...

FTVS does not use RSLinx Classic (RSLC) for standard driver based communications between either the PC and the controller, or the terminal and controller. FTVS uses RSLinx Enterprise (RSLE). This is a completely separate communications configuration software to RSLC. On a system which has both RSLC and RSLE installed, there may be some issues with sharing drivers and physical ports, etc., but once configured for sharing they should operate independently.

RSLinx Classic (RSLC) is used to communicate with certain devices, such as your controller, so as to upload/download programs, view device status and configure certain device properties. A more advanced feature set of RSLC is the use of OPC Topics for data exchange between AB and third party devices. Heavy usage of OPC is where RSLC Gateway version would be required. OPC Topics are often used for data aquisition for SCADA systems, or the like. But it's not RSLC we are concerned with here.

RSLinx Enterprise (RSLE) falls under the FT Services Platform (FTSP) suite, namely the FT Live Data (FTLD) and FT Alarms and Events (FTAE) applications. It provides both a Live Data Server and also an Alarms and Events Server. RSLE handles the communication configuration to devices that the Data Server, or Alarms and Events Server poll for information. These devices can include controllers, or distributed I/O. (I'm on a sales commission here, quick, how many do you want?)

RSLE Data Servers also support the use of OPC Topics to these devices. However, RSLinx Classic Gateway is not what is used here. To use OPC Topics with RSLE, you must additionally use FT Gateway.

To be clear...

Other than resources they may indirectly share on a system:

RSLinx Classic is not used with RSLinx Enterprise in any way, shape or form.

They both provide similar functionality, but you would use either/or depending on your application requirements.

Also, RSLinx Classic would only be used with FactoryTalk View Studio when certain features are not available in RSLinx Enterprise such as:

Alias Topic Support
DDE Support
When Complex paths are needed to talk to a controller.
Ethernet to Data Highway Plus
Ethernet to DeviceNet
Specific driver support

RSLinx Classic is the preferred data server for PLC/SLC/MicroLogix platforms.
RSLinx Enterprise is the preferred data server for Logix5000 platforms.

This would suggest that RSLinx Classic should preferrably be used for setting up communications with a MicroLogix, but not when it is to communicate with a PanelView Plus, which will handle all of the communications setup using RSLE.

So...

When you are developing your terminal's application in FTVS, and configuring the Communications Setup for either Design (Local) or Runtime (Target), you are using RSLE, and not RSLC. RSLE is also what is running on the terminal at Runtime to communicate to the controller, albeit in a stripped down version of what you use on your PC. When running on the terminal, it acts as a Data Server, using the communication configuration loaded with the MER application, or set on the terminal menu itself. The Server exchanges data with configured devices, such as your controller.

Lastly,

Padraic said:
...is there a simple way to test this before I proceed any further?...

You have already established a serial communication link between RSLinx Classic and your MicroLogix 1500 controller, which is good. This proves that your PC serial port, your cable, and your controller are all configured and working correctly for the chosen protocol driver, such as DF1 Full Duplex. However, this does not prove that RSLE will successfully communicate with your controller, but you are 75% of the way there.

If currently you do not have FTVS installed, then you most likely do not have RSLE installed, and so cannot test communications between RSLE and your controller. But to be honest, I would not be too concerned at this stage with testing communications between FTVS, RSLE and your controller. Advising you to do this is not a valid prerequisite to aquiring FTVS. In fact, it's contradictory. You cannot test a setup for some "thing" in advance of having said "thing". If you do go down the FTVS path, I have no doubts, you will be just fine with your communications!

Regards,
George

Last edited:
Hi George, Yes I think you are right, its important to get the terminology right, especially when I'm starting out.
I have read through your information a few times and I understand most of the information you have given me.
For my project HMI, I intend to use my laptop with a larger desktop monitor.
I have FTVS installed but I cant get it to run, I get a warning telling me that I need to have FT Services Platform 2.10 installed in order to run FTVS.

I have FTVS installed but I cant get it to run, I get a warning telling me that I need to have FT Services Platform 2.10 installed in order to run FTVS.
What a conglomerated mess! RSView32 (the previous version of Factory Talk View) did work with RSLinx Gateway. Find an old copy of RSView32 and you can avoid buying and installing all that extra fluff.

Or Switch over to Automation Direct and save yourself a lot of time, money, and headaches!

Last edited:
Hey Lancie! Don't be interrupting my FT sales pitch!

I don't know about the time or headaches, but how will our friend save money by switching, when they already have the hardware and software for an AB/Rockwell setup?

Actually, on the time and headaches, isn't that why we are here!

And you've got me started now...

Lancie1 said:
What a conglomerated mess! RSView32 (the previous version of Factory Talk View) did work with RSLinx Gateway. Find an old copy of RSView32 and you can avoid buying and installing all that extra fluff...

"Enable_RANT"...

Lancie,

Don't thank me all at once for setting you straight. Just carry on into "well screw all that FT stuff anyway!" mode. If you are happy to stay in RSLogix 5/500 and RSView32 land, then that is your perogative. But please don't turn another thread into a Rockwell/AB/FT thrashing session. We've had enough of them of late. (Not suggesting you did of late).

You don't buy the prerequisites, such as FTSP, like some add-on, they come packaged with the software you have purchased. Anyone successfully using FTVS will have already installed FTSP as part of that installation. It comes on the disk, or is included in the download. You make it sound like it's all extra cost and extra hassle. It's like installing the driver files to make your hardware work. FTSP is essential in the FT world.

The whole premise of the FactoryTalk model is to simplify the re-use of shared information. The core of that model is FT Services Platform. Everything else is an add-on built off the foundation that FTSP lays. Once you understand the model and its principles, you can then better understand what it's all supposed to do, make life simpler. Whether you like the model and its price-point as an end-user, is up to you. Free Enterprise and all that. If you have used it and struggled with it then perhaps it's not for you, but if you haven't used it, or haven't used it beyond the very basics, and fully understood it, then it can be very easy to be negative about it all. A view I see all too often. I've seen and heard comments in the past, and present, showing utter hatred and disgust for FT. Showing no regard for it as though it was so ill conceived it should have been put down at birth.

I would say perhaps you have not fully embraced it, not given it a chance, or have not fully understood it? Some may even have been too busy or just not bothered to learn its ways. I don't know? I just know that it's like most ICS, it can be complicated, flawed, but also very useful and powerful, in the right hands.

Perhaps, dare I say, it is just above some people, or their tolerance levels?

"Disable_RANT"...(<<<Modern day Tag based RANT)

As you will find out quick enough Padraic, there are a lot of varying opinions on this Forum, and rightly so. It wouldn't be healthy otherwise, or fun! But do try to give things a chance, especially where you already have the hardware and software, before being dissauaded, as I'm sure you are not too easily.

Padraic said:
...I have FTVS installed but I cant get it to run, I get a warning telling me that I need to have FT Services Platform 2.10 installed in order to run FTVS...

Excellent, you have FTVS installed, so that's that hurdle out of the way.

As I've mentioned, and you have hopefully understood, there are prerequisite software applications which must be installed before certain other software will function correctly. FT Services Platform (FTSP) is the building block for all of the FT applications.

FTVS requires that FT Services Platform (FTSP) is installed, and obviously at a compatible version, hence the mention of v2.10. This is a few versions ago for FTSP, and would suggest you are using a slightly older version of FTVS, such as v5.0 or v5.1? Can you tell us what version of FTVS you have? It might be important at some later stage.

What source have you used for installing FTVS - DVD or downloaded files? A proper installation package should include the necessary prerequisites for the application you're installing. It should auto install or prompt you to install them while installng the main application.

So FTVS should install FTSP and RLSE.

Why?

FTVS needs FTSP for things like Activation of the software licence using FT Activation Manager (FTAM), or if using security for your terminals, it requires FT Security (FTS).

RLSE is also dependant on FTSP.

Why?

Remember I said...

"RSLinx Enterprise (RSLE) falls under the FT Services Platform (FTSP) suite, namely the FT Live Data (FTLD) and FT Alarms and Events (FTAE) applications"

RSLE installs these two FT applications and then must configure itself as a Server for both those features. To create the Server, RLSE uses a core service within FTSP, namely FT Directory (FTD). Using FTD, RSLE will configure either a Local Directory for stand-alone setups, or a Network Directory for a distributed setup. Yours would be a Local Directory Server.

All of the FT applications you install will require one or more of the FTSP core services.

So please outline what you have and how you installed FTVS.

The whole reason I have outlined the basics of FT here, at lenght, is so you can fully understand what and why you are doing things. It may seem daunting as you start out, but it will get easier, if you persist and learn your way around.

Regards,
George

Hi George, I suppose a bit of background from myself as to why I'm using AB RS. Our college almost insisted that we used LABView, it took some persuasion for them to allow me to use AB.
But for my own education and for my future here in Ireland Allen Bradley would be one of the market leaders, where I work, everything is AB so it makes sense for me to learn and use it.
I really appreciate you explaining everything to me George, this is exactly what I need.

I installed from files. How can I check the version of FTVS, I cannot open it.
I have as follows
RSLinx Classic Gateway 2.57.00
RS Logix 500 8.30.00
FT View Me 5.10.00
FT View Studio

Regards Padraic.

Where are you reading those versions from?
File or folder names?
Installed programs list in Control Panel? <<< This will tell you exactly what you have installed.

Now might be a good time to ask which OS you're installing these under?

Explain what files you have for installing FTVS.
You should see a "Redist" folder somewhere.
G.

Last edited:
Where are you reading those versions from?
File or folder names?
Installed programs list in Control Panel? <<< This will tell you exactly what you have installed.

Now might be a good time to ask which OS you're installing these under?

Explain what files you have for installing FTVS.
You should see a "Redist" folder somewhere.
G.
I read them from the folders. Here are the version details from the installed programs list.
RSLinx Classic 2.57.00
RSLinx Enterprise 5.20.00000
RSLogix 500 English 8.30.00
Rockwell Windows firewall Configuration utility1.00.05
Rockwell Automation USB CIP Driver Package
Redundancy Module Config Tool
Factory Talk Activation Server 3.02
Factory Talk Diagnostics 2.30
Factory Talk Services Platform 2.30
Factory Talk View Machine Edition 5.10.00

I'm using XP SP3
When I look at the installed list of programs I don't see FTVS, but when I go to start, programs, Rockwell Software, Factory Talk View, FTVS & FTV ME are listed there.

I think all I have are the files for installing FT ME, I just thought I had FTVS as the above paragraph.

Also the warning I get when starting FTV ME regarding the FT Services Platform, it says that I need version 2.10 although I have version 2.30. Can I install an earlier version?

Geospark said:
"Disable_RANT"...(<<<Modern day Tag based RANT)

Can you tell me which data type to use for a rant in my PLC-5? I don't want to upgrade to your newfangled modern day tag-based ranting, but still want to bltch and moan about newfangled modern day PLC's!

need machine edition work with win 8 64 bit

hi my friend my name is magdy and i need help to have machine edition work on win 8 64 bit with plc gefanuc 90-30
and thank for your help

ASF said:
Can you tell me which data type to use for a rant in my PLC-5? I don't want to upgrade to your newfangled modern day tag-based ranting, but still want to bltch and moan about newfangled modern day PLC's!

For retro-ranting you can use PLC/SLC Tag Mapping. (y)

FactoryTalk View Options...

Padraic said:
I read them from the folders. Here are the version details from the installed programs list.
RSLinx Classic 2.57.00
RSLinx Enterprise 5.20.00000
RSLogix 500 English 8.30.00
Rockwell Windows firewall Configuration utility1.00.05
Rockwell Automation USB CIP Driver Package
Redundancy Module Config Tool
Factory Talk Activation Server 3.02
Factory Talk Diagnostics 2.30
Factory Talk Services Platform 2.30
Factory Talk View Machine Edition 5.10.00

I'm using XP SP3
When I look at the installed list of programs I don't see FTVS, but when I go to start, programs, Rockwell Software, Factory Talk View, FTVS & FTV ME are listed there.

I think all I have are the files for installing FT ME, I just thought I had FTVS as the above paragraph.

Also the warning I get when starting FTV ME regarding the FT Services Platform, it says that I need version 2.10 although I have version 2.30. Can I install an earlier version?

OK, thanks for that list. It clears things up a bit and helps me understand your problem better. I'll get to the problem in a minute, but first...

To make it clearer to you as to what you have installed and why you don't see FTVS in the program list, I'll explain the different options available when purchasing FactoryTalk View software...

FT View is the prefix for all software products related to FT HMI application development, testing and execution.

HMI Application Development and Testing:
FT View Studio (FTVS) is the software used to develop and test applications, but not to execute them on a permanent basis. To execute applications proper you must have a license per Station. So if you purchase FTVS on its own, then you can develop and test your applications on your computer for a 2 hour demo period i.e. after 2 hours the Runtime shuts down the HMI Server and you have to restart it. This should not be used for normal production runtime. While FTVS is an individual software in itself, and can be purchased separately, it does come included with certain FTV packages of which you select depending on the Station licencing setup you require...

HMI Application Execution: Station Licencing
A Station is a HMI, be it a PanelView or a computer. The licence for a PanelView terminal is included in the price, as is the licence for a PanelView running Windows CE, but for a computer based HMI, you have to purchase a separate licence per computer i.e. a Station licence.

So, to execute HMI applications you have a couple of choices depending on what you require...

MACHINE-LEVEL

1. FactoryTalk View Studio for Machine Edition (FTV ME): No Licence Scheme
FTV ME is the software package used to develop, test and execute HMI applications on a stand-alone, non-distributed machine or system, hence the term Machine Edition. This is a single Server/Client setup designed for use on a PanelView terminal. FTV ME package includes FTSP, RSLE & FTVS for ME. Because the PanelView Plus and PanelView CE terminals include their licence when purchased, there is no need to purchase a Station licence with the software. If using a computer as the HMI, then you would require...

1.a) FactoryTalk View Machine Edition Station for Windows: Single Licence Scheme
The FTV ME Station package provides the necessary Station licence required when running applications on a Windows based HMI computer. You can select different versions of the Station licence depending on how many Displays your application requires.

Display limit options: 15|30|75|250|500

SITE-LEVEL

2. FactoryTalk View Site Edition Server (FTV SE): Multiple Licence Scheme:
FTV SE is the software used when you require more than one HMI Client on a distributed system. The FTV SE Server package is used to setup a Supervisory-level HMI Server for a distributed HMI system. The Server stores all the shared information for the Clients, such as Displays, Tag Database, Alarms, Logging, etc. FTV SE Server installs FTSP, RSLC, RLSE, FTVS & the FTV SE Server.

Display limit options: 25|100|250|Unlimited

To interact with the Server, each HMI requires a Client licence...

2.a) FactoryTalk View Site Edition Client: Client Licence Scheme
FTV SE Client is required for each HMI Client on a distributed HMI system. The Client package provides the necessary software to interact with the Server, and includes the Client licence required to do so. The Client licence can be installed locally on the HMI Client computer as a dedicated licence, or it can be stored on the computer hosting the FT Directory, as a floating licence. The FT Directory is usually set up on the Server computer. You can also purchase a "View-Only" SE Client package which only allows you view the distributed information, but not manipulate it.

Display limit options: set by Server limit

If you require a single stand-alone HMI, within a distributed system, then you can still purchase a single Station licence...

2.b) FactoryTalk View Site Edition Station: Single Licence Scheme
The Station package provides the software and a single licence for a HMI on a distributed system, similar to the Station licence issued by the ME Station package. This HMI licence does not allow that single HMI to become a Client, and so it cannot interact with the SE Server.

Display limit options: 15|25|100|250|Unlimited

Regards,
George