GX works2

Hossamhegab

Hello all.
Am new with Mitsubishi plc programming,I need two upload program from FX3S-20MT CPU,so I ask about the the cable used to interface between pc and plc and the needed configuration in GX WORKS 2

You need a 232 or USB to 422 converter lead, the FX series programming port is a mini din socket & 422 communication.
There are a number of leads out there for example the SC09 cable that is 232 to 422, this would also require a USB to 232 converter if you do not have a legacy 232 port (be aware that on Win11, some of these USB to 232 converters do not work as the drivers have not been updated), if you go 232 to 422 cable route like the Mitsubishi SC09 then the USB to 232 lead needs to be the FDTI type chip.
Amazon has these plus USB to 422 leads although I have never tried them only a SC09 and a UGreen USB to 232.
If your FX is a clone then a lot of them have 232 port by default.
Once you have the lead/leads, create a project with plc type i.e. FX3 but a simple project in ladder not a structured project.
Click on the connection destination & select the type i.e. 232 (even if using USB to 232 plus SC09) select the com port in most cases it will select 115kb baud the other parameters are by default correct, press Connection test once successfully connected select online from top menu, read from PLC then tick all boxes this will upload the program. Note: if the program was written as a structured project then it cannot be re-constructed as a structured one so will read it in ladder, there will be no comments & if it was originally a structured one there will be loads of jumps round the main code to subroutines but at least it will be the code.
This all assumes the PLC has not been password protected.

FX Connection.jpg

You can buy the lead on ebay quite cheaply (SC09) They are Chinese copies but work perfectly well. They are already USB and come with the drivers on a mini CD.
In some respects, they are better than the very expensive Mitsubishi ones.
They have RX and TX led's that flash when communicating. A great help in letting you know when you have connected correctly.

Thanks all for your replies
Now as I understand i need to buy rs222 communication cable (plc side) and DB9 socket to USB converter (PC side).
But there is a usb type B on the plc, what is the usage of it.
Also the plc is connected to siemens hmi ,can I use this cable to interface between pc and plc

20220517_164928.jpg

Last edited:
Yes apparently it does have USB this looks like a mini USB type B if you do not have the FX USB driver it can be downloaded from the Mitsubishi website I found it here

https://emea.mitsubishielectric.com..._fx/plc-main-unit/fx3s-20mt-es.html#downloads

So if you use that just select USB as the interface in GXWorks it is also a programming port so should not be any problems. I cannot remember if GXWorks automatically installs the USB driver I do seem to remember a colleague of mine had that problem it was on the install disk but was not installed.

Last edited:
From memory, if the driver doesn't install automatically when you plug it in, go to device manager and point the unknown device to:
C:\Program Files (x86)\MELSOFT\Easysocket\USBDrivers

Thanks all for help
Now I can connect with plc and go online as I have a copy of the software but when I try to download the program to the plc it requires a keyword as shown in the photo,is this a protection passaword ?

16534730886248052060858922754368.jpg

That is correct, the program is protected, you need the password to unlock it before you download & overwrite the code that is already in it.