Factory Talk View ME Alarms

John Morris

Lifetime Supporting Member
Good morning

RSLOGIX 5K V29, FTV V8.0, PV 7 PLUS

Setting up alarm screen, I have it as far as switching to the alarm screen when an alarm is triggered, but for some reason I can not get the msg to appear on the screen.

Set up the alarms as values, with triggers of 1, have set up tags for overloads, low levels, e-stops, and written out all the messages. On the start setup I have checked the alarms box, and under the advanced tab pointed to the alarm screen. Removed all filters.

I have surfed google for two days, read every thread I could find dealing with ME alarms, and been through all 561 pages of the user's guide. That's gotten me this far.

Now I need help finding the one simple thing I have been overlooking.

Your feed back is appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your time and attention.

Good morning

RSLOGIX 5K V29, FTV V8.0, PV 7 PLUS

Setting up alarm screen, I have it as far as switching to the alarm screen when an alarm is triggered, but for some reason I can not get the msg to appear on the screen.

Set up the alarms as values, with triggers of 1, have set up tags for overloads, low levels, e-stops, and written out all the messages. On the start setup I have checked the alarms box, and under the advanced tab pointed to the alarm screen. Removed all filters.

I have surfed google for two days, read every thread I could find dealing with ME alarms, and been through all 561 pages of the user's guide. That's gotten me this far.

Now I need help finding the one simple thing I have been overlooking.

Your feed back is appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your time and attention.

John,

For efficiency's sake, could you please post screenshots of the Alarm Configuration Setup and Messages tabs?

Thanks.

I find it easier to write your bits to a DINT in the PLC.

Then read that as your triggers:

3160kfb.png

Then look at the bits in Messages (bit 1 is the first bit, so bit 0 of the DINT)

10ndj76.png

Make sure Alarms are checked in Start Up

igf5e8.png

Thank you for the suggestion janner_10. I will consider it if I cannot get this to work correctly.

dmargineau are these what you were requesting?

alarm setup.JPG

trigger setup.JPG

msg setup.jpg

John.
The 'antique' FTVS Alarms server cannot 'handle' each alarm trigger as an individual BOOL tag.

The common approach is to aggregate all the intended alarms as elements of a 'structure' tag such as a DINT.

Depending of the number of alarms to be implemented create several DINTs (32 alarms/DINT) e.g. : System_Alarms_1, System_Alarms_2, etc.

Create ladder logic as to address each individual bit of said DINTs e.g.: High Level Alarm logic will turn System_Alarms_1.0 ON, Low Level Alarm will turn System_Alarms_1.1 ON and so on.

Setup the FTVS Alarms as Trigger Type = Bit with a Bit Value = 1

List all the Alarm DINTs as Alarm Triggers.

Under Alarm Messages, list all your messages in the ladder logic order and specify the Alarm Trigger DINT corresponding bit while the Alarm Message Value will be the Bit Position + 1; e.g. the Alarm Message corresponding to Bit 4 of the Alarm DINT will need to have a Value of 5 in order to be displayed; the Alarm Message corresponding to Bit 23 of the Alarm DINT will need to have a Value of 24 in order to be displayed

Last edited:
Under Alarm Messages, list all your messages in the ladder logic order and specify the Alarm Trigger DINT corresponding bit ...

Too late to Edit...

The Trigger of any listed Alarm Message needs stated only the Alarm Trigger Word (DINT) and not the individual bit.

I understand,

Thank you for the follow up.

You're welcome John; after you do it once it will become routine.

I agree it is very counter-intuitive and the User Manual is a far cry from what it should be; RA carried the HMI Alarms over from the old PanelView Classic/PanelBuilder 32 systems and never 'modernized' it.

It's something that should have been considered while the program was written, not an after thought.

I had read about and planed on using the tags from the beginning. Now I have to redo alot of triggers. AB is a live and learn thing.

Next one I'll plan on using the DINT's.

Thank you for the valued responses. I have learned a great deal on what NOT to do on the next project.

I usually create an alarm tag in my PLC type structure and then pair it up with an array of INTegers for the PanelView. Then just add it on with the output of the structured bit.

FT ME V9 Alarm issues

Not sure if this falls in the same category but. I created a user defined Data.type for Alarms so I can click on Faults and I get like 20 individual fault bits. These are not indexed just shown as they were entered. Example:

Fault.Dyn_0L
Fault.Dyn_OT
Fault.CountDone

and so on.

When I click on my Alarms setup in Factorytalk ME I select "Fault" from my Logix processor.

Under Messages I see {[Path]Fault} as the trigger I figured using Trigger value of 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32....

I then Compile and install.

It does not work no faults are shown. I tried Aliasing the tags to a known working Dint does not work. I reversed the Aliases still does not work.

What does work is a Single DINT and toggeling each bit so now I have to make a table that connects my Fault.XXXX to Fault2 (DINT) top make this work.

Maybe I am just to complicated to make stuff work.