You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old December 18th, 2017, 01:22 PM   #1
TheWaterboy
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

Is there a shortcut through RSLinx to the Processor

A minor annoyance I often have is browsing through the "Who Active" list and then drilling down through the tree past the backplane etc to connect to a processor in Logix. It's several clicks more than I think it should be. I mean, when using Logix we never connect to anything else in the "Who Active" tree except the processor so why isn't that easier? Like a filtered view

Is there a shortcut method where I could have a list of PLC names and just select one of them them directly?

Yea its trivial but I'm curious. I saw shortcuts in RSLinx but they don't appear to Logix.
Old December 18th, 2017, 02:13 PM   #2
Mad_Poet
United States

I have been known to use the RSLinx 'who active' to go to the
Ethernet module and change its IP address.
Poet.
Old December 18th, 2017, 02:17 PM   #3
TheWaterboy
United States

Well yes I know there are exceptions - I'm just wondering if there is another option for my workflow . I could open the ACD first but I typically don't.
Old December 18th, 2017, 02:17 PM   #4
Steve Etter
United States

I feel your pain and, no, I have never found one. The best I've been able to do is to learn to 1) abort any "automatic" searching, 2) always highlight the Driver, then 3) wait for red X's to show up (there are almost always multiple devices that are not connected) and, finally, 4) find the appropriate communications device and drill down to the processor.

I've often wondered why they make it so cumbersome and, yet, give you that almost-worthless "automatic" search when it can't drill down all by itself.
Old December 18th, 2017, 02:19 PM   #5
Mispeld
United States

In the RS-Linx Configure Drivers for the Ethernet adapter, you can type text after the IP address, and this will show up in RS-Who. This can be helpful where the IP address is for a backplane Ethernet module, and therefore will not have a processor name automatically associated with it.
Old December 18th, 2017, 02:20 PM   #6
TheWaterboy
United States

Of all the things to be concerned with, this is not too high on the list. But thanks for sharing my pain
Old December 18th, 2017, 02:21 PM   #7
TheWaterboy
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mispeld View Post
In the RS-Linx Configure Drivers for the Ethernet adapter, you can type text after the IP address, and this will show up in RS-Who. This can be helpful where the IP address is for a backplane Ethernet module, and therefore will not have a processor name automatically associated with it.
Oh ? I know about :EIP. didnt know text was also available.
Old December 18th, 2017, 02:31 PM   #8
Aardwizz
United Kingdom

How long have you been doing things the hard way?

Next time you've located the PLC in Who Active, on the lower right there is a button that says, "Set Project Path". Press that, save your .ACD, and the next time you want to go online, merely select "Go Online". Logix/Studio will remember the RSLinx path.

Now, if you are sharing the .ACD with a lot of other people, this might not work. The reason is that you might use the AB_ETH driver, and have the IP configured as "Station 10", while Joe might have it as "Station 0", and Fred uses AB_ETHIP. But even then, your copy of Logix/Studio has a "Path" selector -- View >> Toolbars... >> Path Bar (if it's not visible). This lists all your recently used paths, with the PLC name associated with it, just like what you want RSLinx to do!

Select the path, select Go Online, and Presto!, you're there. No browsing required.
Old December 18th, 2017, 02:38 PM   #9
TheWaterboy
United States

The ACD (and the RSS and RSP files) are indeed shared between 2 users and 4 machines so to do this means RSLinx needs to be identical to use the project path. That's not insurmountable, just looking for this option to eliminate that potential hiccup.

Apparently it doesn't exist.

If recent paths could hold 100 entries that might work.
Old December 18th, 2017, 02:53 PM   #10
Aardwizz
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWaterboy View Post
"...this means RSLinx needs to be identical to use the project path. ...

If recent paths could hold 100 entries that might work.
It is possible (and relatively easy) to synchronize everyone's RSLinx. Make one copy the "Gold Standard", export it using the RSLinx Backup and Restore Tool, and import everywhere else. The management of the "Golden Linx" should be managed just like you do ACD files -- no "private" copies.

As for needing 100 entries -- if you've got that many PLCs in your plant, then you really should be having the project path set within with the ACD file, and making sure that everyone accesses the PLC the same way.

Otherwise, you're going to be browsing no matter what you do, either through RSLinx or a list of paths. For that many, Linx is probably easier.

Good luck!
Old December 18th, 2017, 03:08 PM   #11
TheWaterboy
United States

Copy that.
thanks for the feedback.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum