RSView32 says tag database cannot be found with copied project folder

defcon.klaxon

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hey guys,

A new client I'm working with has an older system, running RSView32 with AB SLCs and Logix500. I want to copy the existing project and mess with it on my local machine to get familiar with everything and not risk messing up the existing system, but I'm having issues.

First, I've installed RSView32 on a Windows XP virtual machine, it's version 7.60.00 in case that matters. I don't see SE or ME anywhere.

I copied the project directory and try to open it with RSView32 Works but I get an error message saying "Tag database not found". It then shows a project opening status bar of 10% for about five minutes, seems to be nonresponsive, and finally eventually says "Database conversion failed, tag database <project name> not found".

Wondering what I'm doing wrong? Did some searching around on Google and the forum here, but couldn't find anything solid for my situation.

edit: I should mention that I have the client's software here for installation purposes, and all I've installed is RSView 32 Works, not FactoryTalk or anything else. Don't have any PLCs to connect to it so I figured I didn't need RSLinx.

Last edited:
Do you still have this problem? I have RSView32 to give it a try, if you're willing to send me the files.

Hi, thanks for the response and sorry for my delayed response in turn.

Yeah it would be great if I could get this to work, at this point I'm getting deeper and deeper into this existing system and I'd like to be able to tear it apart and take a look without putting the actual workstation at risk.

If you could PM me your email address I'll send you a link to the files. Thanks!

Did you copy the project folder while the application was running? I seem to remember at least one file that could not be copied while running...maybe it was related to the tag database. That was so many years ago I don't recall the details. Anyway, I got into the habit of stopping the project before trying to copy it.

Did you copy the project folder while the application was running? I seem to remember at least one file that could not be copied while running...maybe it was related to the tag database. That was so many years ago I don't recall the details. Anyway, I got into the habit of stopping the project before trying to copy it.

That's a great question, and while I don't specifically remember it would be much more likely that the system was running when I copied the folder. Luckily I can remote into this system and re-try copying the project file. I'll give that a try and report back. Thanks!

Yes, I just tried copying a running application, and the tag database (along with other files) do not copy.

Thanks for the confirmation.

I was able to get a copy of the project when it wasn't running, so that's now locally available.

Unfortunately the non-licensed version of RSView32 does run for a limited time (2 hours) but what I didn't know was that it limits you to 35 tags. So now I'm trying to figure out how to get around that, whether it's transferring the license from the remote computer to mine (though it seems that you've gotta call Rockwell every time you transfer, so they're not going to like that) or just buying a dev license. I'm asking my local rep for a quote, we'll see what he comes up with.

edit: the version I'm using is 7.6.00, which I seem to have found runs with FactoryTalk, not a master disc...so maybe there is a way to set things up so I can "borrow" the dev license from the client? I'm not really familiar with how flexible FactoryTalk licenses are.

Last edited: