Axis Festo

marvis

Hello everyone,

It's the first experience with a Festo's drives and the Festo Configuration Tool programming tool.

Particularly with these features:

Controller: CMMP-AS-C2-3A-M3
Motor: EMMS-AS-40-LS-TMB
Axis: User Defined Rotative Axis

The problem is that it is trying to do the home procedure, whether it is during the jog (with the sw Festo) the axis makes an abnormal movement, in the sense that it goes in search of the home sensor, but not with a "continuous" movement, but making quick movements back and forth.

Also, do I need to autotuning? On the sotware I find nothing about it!

What can it depend on?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Hi,

I guess your controller model, motor model and the gear details, especially the gear ratio are set correctly in the configuration pages.

Understand your limit switch types and homing method. You need to select the right type of the above in your axis setup page of FCT and wired it to the correct port. For the type of switch it is either NC or NO only.

There are 4 types of homing methods,
1. limit switch,
2. reference switch [if you are homing to a defined home sensor other than limit switch],
3. Block - hard stop when the axis hits its slide end, - I usually avoid this unless there is no foreseeable obstruction that can occur on the slide path. It can give you headaches if there is misalignment of motor and the axis linkage which draws more current
4. Current Position

So select your homing methods and the homing direction, negative or positive. Usually choosing negative on a slide, moves the axis towards the motor mounting direction. Yours is a rotary axis, so should be straight forward.

Choose the option NO reversing when blocking to prevent it from going opposite direction if it hit a block during homing and go in reverse direction, if need to.

You also need to select the homing velocity, acceleration and deceleration. You gear ratio may have some impact I guess.

If you are using positioning tables, the movement after your homing is simple. But if you are moving it in direct mode, [to control the position from the PLC, then the base velocity settings in the Profile position Mode, in the direct mode page need to set. I usually set the base velocity to the maximum and set the acceleration and deceleration to the required. You are able to change the velocity and position from the PLC in direct mode.

Lastly, if you are using direct mode, your factor group settings in the field bus page is important. I usually set the Exponent position setting to 10^-2 for the positioning reporting to 2 decimal places, and for velocity and accel to 10^-3. Wrong settings or no settings enabled in the factor group also gives inaccurate moves.

Usually when you select your axis type, the FCT calculate the appropriate tuning parameters, but you can do it manually online with the FCT in the closed loop page if necessary. I have not tried it

Regards
______

Last edited:
Thank you very much chavak!

The machine is on its way to its destination. On Tuesday I will be able to work on the axis. In the meantime, I'll check everything you've told me.

Thanks again.