KTP400 Basic

sawyer65

I have a KTP400 basic color PN HMI that stopped communicating, it been working for the last 4 years. This HMI only has 2 connections, power and RJ45 for profinet.
I tried pinging the address it should be at with no luck.
PROsave cannot find it either.
I also tried Simatic Automation Tool and it also did not find it.
The strange thing is that there is no Profinet icon in the control panel of the HMI.
I searched through a bunch of pages on the Siemens forum and couldn't find any post with this specific problem.
Any suggestions of what to try next?

In the manual chapter 5.6 is described how to do an OS update from a USB stick.
In the manual chapter 5.16 is described how to change IP address of the Profinet port.
You dont see the icon that looks like a globe with a cable attached to it ?

My go-to tool is Proneta. Try that, it will find anything that can be found.
Also try another programming PC, to rule out that the issue is with the PC.

If proneta does not find the panel, then I am afraid that the PN port is toasted for some reason. Possibly overvoltage on the PN port.
If the panel is placed far away from the other end of the cable or the power supply, the equipotential connection is important.
If the cables go between buildings, you have to consider protection against lightning strike.

Thanks for the suggestion's.
There is no USB on this HMI, only communication's port is rj45 for Profinet.
The Profinet icon's on the other KTP400's are more like 2 computers side by side with a cable between them. The icon is definitely missing from the control panel, nothing that looks like a globe with a cable attached to it either.
Proneta did not find it either, so at this point, saving it in case I have to replace a cracked screen on another one at some point seems to be the best option.
Cabling was short on it, in the 6 foot range.
Lightening/power surges could easily be the culprit, we get power flickers from the breaker operating at the substation a couple of times a week.

I think your KTP400 is the so-called 1st generation. If it is a mono screen then definitely it is the 1st generation panel.
I thought it was the 2nd generation type.
That probably explains why the menu system is different.
What is the exact type no printed on the rear ?

edit: Post a photo of the screen where the Profinet icon is supposed to be. Is there another icon in the same place ?

edit again: If you activate the Transfer Icon, does it show Ethernet as a possible channel ? Is it enabled ?
In this dialog, if you hit the 'advanced' button, you should get to the same Ethernet setup as the missing Profinet icon would give you.

Last edited:
The model number is 6AV6-647-0AK11-3AX0, KTP400 Basic color PN.
I am attaching 2 photo's, the one without the profinet icon in the top right corner of the control panel screen is the HMI I cannot communicate with. The photo with the Profinet icon in the top right corner is in an identical machine that is working correctly. I included it for comparison sake.
The transfer icon doesn't seem to do anything.
The op icon works correctly, bring up another screen where I can make adjustments, I never tried the password, sound or screensaver icons.

IMG_20230530_190756_01.jpg 20230601_032924.jpg

6AV6-647-0AK11-3AX0 is KPT400 1st generation.
The only explanation why there is no Profinet icon on the otherwise identical panel could be that it is a different firmware version, and the Profinet icon was added in a later version. Just guessing. You can see the firmware version by the 'OP' icon and 'Device' tab.

The transfer icon doesn't seem to do anything.
Is the touch function bad on that part of the screen ?

Still, the fact that the panel is unreachable indicates it is a goner.

Thats is a very old and discontinued model, I would bet that its the RTC battery that has leaked and killed the ethernet interface chip.

A client had the same happen to a KP700 that was some 12-14 years old, the battery burst, leaked and damaged half the PCB, took out the Profibus interface in my case. When I opened it up, half the PCB was damaged by the battery acid. In my case the Profibus icons and all the related information was gone from all the configuration menus.