DH 485 Cable

Jezz

Hi I'm setting up a DH485 network and I'm looking for a suitable cable I've seen a few in RS and I'm wondering what the difference is between Screened cable and Shielded cable and would 2 twisted pair Type 1 screened cable do??

Jezz

I do not recommend this but I have used cat5 cable for a DH485 network (100Ms) and it did work. Temporary job so I could look at the IO change on my notebook on a remote processor while I was at an operator station. AB recommends a belden cable (cant remember the number) for the DH485 network. It is not expensive and the core colors match the documentation so it is easier to extend later.
Regards Alan

Just ordered some the other day.

Alan Case said:
AB recommends a belden cable (cant remember the number) for the DH485 network.

3106A or 9142

However our local supplier didn't have either of these so they pointed me to the Belden 9842.

Side note: If you ever need to extend your cable on a PIC or PCMK, etc, I have used a standard ethernet patch cable and a female/female adapter. Works great.