BootP not finding Micrologix 1100

Blue92

I bought a used ML1100 1763-L16BWA off ebay, and Im trying to connect to it via ethernet. The problem is, is that when I run the BootP software to try and locate it so I can change the IP address and connect to it via RSLinx, it has yet to find my PLC's Mac address. I can use the Command Prompt ARP -A to show all addresses on my network and the ML1100 is showing up with the same IP address 10.10.10.0 that it has on the display under Enet Config. Is this a subnet issue? Im a little lost and out of ideas.

The MicroLogix 1400 has the ability to change the IP address via the LCD and keypads, but I don't think the MicroLogix 1100 does.

It's not using BOOTP/DHCP because it's been set to a static IP address. MicroLogix controllers store the BOOTP/DHCP setting and the IP address as part of the user program.

Your options are to use a serial cable to load a new program, or to set up a computer on the same subnet and use Ethernet to load a new program.

Im sure Ken is right... I must have been thinking of the 1400, do you have a 1761-CBL-PM02 cable? can you ask the ebay person if they know the IP address?

The MicroLogix 1400 has the ability to change the IP address via the LCD and keypads, but I don't think the MicroLogix 1100 does.

It's not using BOOTP/DHCP because it's been set to a static IP address. MicroLogix controllers store the BOOTP/DHCP setting and the IP address as part of the user program.

Your options are to use a serial cable to load a new program, or to set up a computer on the same subnet and use Ethernet to load a new program.
Ok that makes sense then. I must not be the only person to run into this issue with a used ML PLC then.

So if I purchase a serial cable I shouldnt have any issues communicating with it and changing the subnet/IP address? I take it this is done in the channel configuration tab of the program?

Im sure Ken is right... I must have been thinking of the 1400, do you have a 1761-CBL-PM02 cable? can you ask the ebay person if they know the IP address?

I can call my local AB distributor and see about getting one tomorrow. The IP address is the 10.10.10.0 that the LCD screen is showing. But I think its on a different subnet so BootP/RSLinx isnt having any luck finding it.

Just a WAG.... Can you do the other that Ken suggested? set your IP address on your PC to 10.10.10.12, never tried is but it may work or someone else will chime in and say no it won't :)

I have always had a cable or two laying around :D

What part of NC are you from?

EDIT: have you tried 255.255.0.0 ?

Just a WAG.... Can you do the other that Ken suggested? set your IP address on your PC to 10.10.10.12, never tried is but it may work or someone else will chime in and say no it won't :)

I have always had a cable or two laying around :D

What part of NC are you from?

EDIT: have you tried 255.255.0.0 ?
Im from Greensboro, and 255.255.0.0 is the default that BootP has been trying to use.

Yes they will, AB now makes a one piece USB/PM02 adapter (great idea :oops: )

The part number is 9300-USBCBL-PM02 or like you said you will need to buy both the PM02 and the USB 9300 (not cheap)

[only five minutes too late;)]

[update: apparently I am dating myself with the concern about the .0 address; it used to be a broadcast address like .255, but that was 20y ago and not true anymore, so if the 1100 responded there, then good for you!]

You cannot set the IP, but you can see what the IP is on the 1100?

10.10.10.0 is not a static IP address though; its a subnet.

**IFF** the 1100 has a real IP address (and I am not sure it does with that trailing .0), all you need to do is use a static IP on your laptop/desktop e.g. 10.10.10.10/255.255.255.0 via control panel, and RSLinx may then be able to find the 1100, and if so you could download a new configuration (e.g. static IP or DHCP). You will not be able to get to anything else while the laptop/desktop has that static IP, but it will return to normal when you switch the desktop networking back to its original settings.

On my Fleabay 1100, my desktop/tower was using wifi, so I ran a cable direct to the 1100 from the RJ45 jack on the desktop. I also made a DB9/DIN-8 serial cable and bought a USB serial device from the local radio shack because that seemed easier than messing with a BOOTP server (yes, I know now that wasn't the case;)).

Why they bother with BOOTP is beyond me, probably leftover from the 80s or 90s when it was more common, or maybe it was specifically to keep it away from the ubiquitous IT's DHCP.

Last edited: