MSG instruction Help

mbelcourt

Lifetime Supporting Member
Good morning everyone. I'm relatively new to the Allen-Bradley world. My issue I'm facing is this. I have a remote Refractive Index sensor (K-patents PR-33) that I'm trying to communicate with from an AB L36ERM to request the data string from the sensor. The sensor has a factory installed IP address of 169.254.23.33. I can access the device via a web browser using the IP address but am unable to communicate with it via the PLC. 3 things:

1.) Do I need to set up a new ethernet module in my I/O tree specifically for this device using it's IP address and if so, what settings? The factory manual says it should operate on a standard UDP/IP protocol using port 50023. I tried setting up a module once but when I go online, the PLC can never connect with the IP. Keeps timing out for connection failure.

2.) Are there any good how-to's for the MSG instruction itself. I'm new to the networking side of things and most of the setup in the MSG instruction doesn't make alot of sense.......yet

3.) Has anyone actually messed with this particular sensor before?

I've included the PDF of the ethernet protocol supplied from the factory if anyone is inclined to help me. I'm able to ping it and send commands to the sensor via NETMON (3rd party DAQ I use) and the sensor replies with data. Just having a heck of time communicating with it via the PLC. Any help would be worth steak dinner at Outback!! :)

As far as I'm aware, the CompactLogix PLC can communicate using implicit or explicit messaging to ethernet devices that support the Ethernet/IP (Industrial Protocol) protocol only. The sheet you've attached tells me that this sensor does NOT support this protocol and therefore you may need to rethink how to communicate to this sensor.

If speed isn't much of an issue then perhaps you could use your computer as a gateway to collect the sensor data and send it to the PLC?

Like bjh said, the sensor doesn't do Ethernet/IP. I found a TCP/IP to Ethernet Gateway here: http://www.rtaautomation.com/product/460estcp/ but can't find a UDP one.

I would contact K-Patent and see if they have a ready solution for it. I doubt it's a unique scenario for them. Or you can find another refractometer that do standard 4-20 or E/IP.