Panelview Plus 1500: most on screen objects only activate on release

Redhawk17

Hello everyone. I am currently working on a project using a Panelview Plus 1500. A large amount of the inputs for the project are controlled with momentary push buttons and other on screen objects on the HMI, rather than physical inputs. Currently almost every object functions on the rising edge, that is, I can press the "Cycle Start" push button, and hold it for 20 minutes and it will do nothing until I release it. I'm not sure what exactly is causing this. I have looked through all of the property options in FactoryTalk View, and through the options within the setup screens of the HMI and none of them seem to relate to this. I have also reset the HMI but that didn't change anything. The odd thing is that the "User Login" and "Logout User" buttons as shown in the attached image activate on press rather than release.

Anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this? Thanks in advance.

MainScreen.jpg

Thanks Dravik. There are no OSF in the program or anything that could be causing a delay as far as I can tell.

If I monitor the program in RSLogix 500 (it is running on a Micrologix 1400) The bits being toggled by the HMI push buttons don't go true until release either, which makes me think it might be an issue with the panelview.

Can you open the project in FTView Studio ME?
In there you could check the buttons, tags, and how it is setup.

No, a momentary should not be only making a tag write on release. It should write a 1 (set) on touch, and then 0 (clear) on release.

There are some other buttons that work on release, I think. That might be maintained, interlock, macro, etc. Those buttons would require you to touch and release on the button. If you touch, slide your finger off, then release it would not activate those buttons. (but you'll want to double-check that).

GoTo display buttons, and sounds like the login buttons, work on touch. That gives the user the fastest response; the moment you touch, the HMI is starting to change the screens. There is less risk of a problem in that case, compared to a maintained button being accidentally touched and changing a value (maybe for a very long time until you notice that).

Anyway, give it a try with HMI memory tags first to see how the different buttons respond to touch, and touch slide off then release.

Arlen, I have access to the program in FTView Studio ME, and as far as I can tell, the buttons are set up correctly, writing a 1 on touch and then 0 on release.

And actually, this problem affects even the GoTo Display buttons along the bottom of the screen. I'm not sure why the Login/Logout buttons aren't affected.

Actually, if I use the "Test Program" feature in Factory Talk, this issue doesn't seem to occur.

Last edited:
Yeah, that doesn't sound good.

You could try Dravik's idea; put the PLC into program mode and re-test.

Also, I would try the "Objects 5 Demo" project that is included with FTView Studio ME. Test run that on the PC first, see how it works for the buttons. Then download that to your PVP1500 and re-test.

Those tests should help narrow down if the problem is in the:
1) project
2) PanelViewPlus 1500
3) PLC
4) FTView ME software

I think it's a left over from when this used to be RSView32, before that ControlView and before that it was AdvisorPC. All of those apps you could press a button and hold down but nothing happened until you let go. Although RSView32 had Press/Hold/Release actions on the buttons. You should also be able to press hold down and then drag you finger off the control and nothing should happen.

EDIT* I just tried some buttons in 8.0 and they trigger as soon as you touch them.*

Last edited:
I loaded up the Objects 5 Demo on the PanelView and the problem doesn't occur with that program. Or at least I don't think it does.

In the Objects 5 Demo, onscreen objects activate as soon as I touch them. If I hold a button down, it will typically activate after a moment. Momentaries just maintain there state until release, which isn't how my program behaves.

That makes me think this is an issue with my particular FT program, not the Panelview, PLC, or PLC Program.

I am not sure this will fix your issue, but worth a shot to try...

Create a New Application and select Import and pick FTV ME project (*.med) and browse to your problematic application folder *.med file, then Finish.

Hopefully after rebuilding the application your issue will be fix.

good luck

Kuul, I just tried what you suggested and got the same result unfortunately.

Dravik, I'm attaching a few pictures of settings for a momentary PB.

momentary general.PNG momentary states.PNG momentary common.PNG momentary connections.PNG

Well, huh. That's setup totally normally.

I did take a walk through the knowledgebase and there are a PILE of different issues if you happen to be running older versions of the firmware(like 4.x).

Tag syntax

Try a new project.
Create just one push button and numeric display with your tag.
Test it out to see how it works.

BUT, change the syntax to use "." instead of "/" for the bit.
Value:
Code:
{::[PLC]B3:1.7}

Then add the indicator connection, same "." syntax.
Retest.

I am not sure this will fix your issue, but worth a shot to try...

Create a New Application and select Import and pick FTV ME project (*.med) and browse to your problematic application folder *.med file, then Finish.

Hopefully after rebuilding the application your issue will be fix.

good luck

Another way to clean up screens is to use the XML export and import.
The XML import uses a different method (code) to re-create the screens; versus "add component" or "import *.med".

It's more work, but highly recommended with projects that have spanned multiple versions; or ate imports from PanelBuilder.

Same idea:
1)export all of your screens from OLD project to XML
2)create new project
3)batch import all the XML screens.

4)add existing components for the other (images, macros, message files, datalog)
5) If you have alarms, use that XML export/import as well.
6) If you have HMI tags, use the Tag Export/Import tool

Hello everyone. I am currently working on a project using a Panelview Plus 1500. A large amount of the inputs for the project are controlled with momentary push buttons and other on screen objects on the HMI, rather than physical inputs. Currently almost every object functions on the rising edge, that is, I can press the "Cycle Start" push button, and hold it for 20 minutes and it will do nothing until I release it. I'm not sure what exactly is causing this. I have looked through all of the property options in FactoryTalk View, and through the options within the setup screens of the HMI and none of them seem to relate to this. I have also reset the HMI but that didn't change anything. The odd thing is that the "User Login" and "Logout User" buttons as shown in the attached image activate on press rather than release.

Anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this? Thanks in advance.

You haven't stated what is "pressing" the buttons, whether it is a finger or a mouse, but I don't believe it makes a difference, because the touch-screen drives the mouse pointer...

"Touch" objects generally follow the standard windows GUI convention of activating an object on "mouse-up", only if the mouse-up location is within so many pixels of the "mouse-down" event. This gives the user the opportunity to cancel the action by dragging the mouse off the object before releasing, thus nullifying the "press".

The operator simply has to ensure he doesn't move his finger (or the mouse) from its original location when releasing the button.

I can only assume the LogIn and LogOut buttons behave differently because they are not "standard" controls.