2711-T10C9 Upload Problem.

Calscada

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a 2711-T10C9 series D, Rev B, Firmware 4.20 that the touch part of the screen died. I'm confused about what cables/devices I need to connect.

https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/2711-um014_-en-p.pdf

Page 23 says it's an RS232 (DH485) and requires a 1747-NC13 which I have connected. Do I need the 1747-UIC?

However, Item 12 on page 31 states "Also connects to the RS-232 serial port of a computer for transferring applications."

I'm currently using a USB to RS232 adapter going to the Programming port (not the printer port) with a 1747-NC13 Cable. Rslinx autobaud figures out the communication speed but fails on figuring out BCC/CRC error correction. However this PLC talks to an SLC5/05 through the RS232 port of the PLC. (1747-L551) just fine.

I've used multiple 1747-NC13 cables without any luck. I might try and communicate with the PLC again just to make sure the RS232 port didn't get damaged.

The application is running while connecting, do I need to shut down the project somehow to upload?

I have a 2711-T10C9 series D, Rev B, Firmware 4.20 that the touch part of the screen died. I'm confused about what cables/devices I need to connect.

https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/2711-um014_-en-p.pdf

Page 23 says it's an RS232 (DH485) and requires a 1747-NC13 which I have connected. Do I need the 1747-UIC?

However, Item 12 on page 31 states "Also connects to the RS-232 serial port of a computer for transferring applications."
To my knowledge the 'RS-232' part is just to distinguish it from the regular DH-485 models which use an RJ-45 connector.

Your PC cannot communicate via DH485 naturally. You need an interface of some sort; the 1747-UIC is the recommended one.

That statement in the manual does seem to indicate a direct connection is possible though. Perhaps one of our more experienced members can weigh in.

However this PLC talks to an SLC5/05 through the RS232 port of the PLC. (1747-L551) just fine.
The RS-232 port on the SLC is likely configured for DH485 communication. Look at the Channel 0 comm setup of the PLC program to check.
The application is running while connecting, do I need to shut down the project somehow to upload?
No.

I vaguely remember using a nc13 cable but using the PIC driver (not real sure about that though), it was many years ago and my computer had a real serial port, so that may make a difference.

Does your HMI have a FLASH ATA card slot, and do you have a compatible memory card?
You can transfer the project from the failing HMI to the new HMI / PC - with a compatible card reader.
Cycle power to the HMI, look for the gray (iirc) rectangle on the lower right (iirc) of the screen - touch it, you should be guided to the system menu/screen where you can transfer the project to the memory card -- no cables/drivers required.

I am fortunate to have a 2711-NM216 AND an old enough laptop (with built in PCMCIA/PC slot) to open/edit the files.

(I have a 2711-T10C8 and do not know if your HMI sports a cardslot.)

Ouch! Thanks
It's a good idea in general, flash card is definitely my preferred upload/download solution on the old Panelviews.

You need access to the configuration screens to use them though (potentially excepting applications set to load on startup from the card).

I used to always recommend using a memory card for transferring applications to and from Panelview Standard until PCMCIA cards became as difficult to acquire as setting up RSLinx.

That part number has a RS232 port but it is for printing only, so you must use the DH485 port (RJ45 connector) and a 1747-UIC or equivalent for upload and download.

I love the clone cable I got from here:
https://www.plccable.com/allen-bradley-1747-uic-usb-to-dh485/

2711-T10C9.png

That part number has a RS232 port but it is for printing only, so you must use the DH485 port (RJ45 connector) and a 1747-UIC or equivalent for upload and download.

The T10C9 model uses an 'RS232 port' (ie 9-pin D-sub connector), the T10C3 model has the RJ45 connector you are thinking of. Note how OP already specified he was connecting his NC13 cable to the programming port, not the printer port.

For connecting using a 1747-UIC iirc you would use a straight serial cable (a 2711-NC13 will suffice); the clone you linked incorporates one.

OkiePC points out a thing that trips a lot of people up: the "auxiliary" port on those specific terminals does not support upload/download.

It does on other models: PanelView Standard terminals that are equipped with DH+ or ControlNet or DeviceNet or RIO or Profibus or Modbus or EtherNet/IP all have a secondary RS-232 port that can be used for upload/download or for printing.

But not the DH485 units. When those have a second port (the _5 or _9 variants), it supports serial printing only.

A general purpose USB/Serial converter will not[1] support the DH485 protocol or convert from DF1 to DH485. You need a 1747-UIC or equivalent.

[1] I have had a tiny number of reports from users who say they got an older XP-era OS and general-purpose converter to support the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver in RSLinx Classic. I have tested dozens of them over 20 years and have never reproduced it.

Thanks for the responses, very helpful! I will try the UIC module I've ordered from PLC Cable. I guess the panel does not specifically say RS232(DH485) from the picture below as it does in the manual in the original post.

By the way, what's the difference between RS485 and DH485 on the OSI model? Does the DH just mean the software protocol? I've been meaning to connect my Lantronix Terminal server in RS485 mode to another junk HMI I have to see if it works.

PANELVEW_2711P.jpg