Question about CompactLogix with a CF Card, Load on Power Up.

Tharon

I have a CompactLogix PLC. 1769-L32E. Running v20 firmware.

It is a very simple program that just handles some Ethernet/IP communications between a couple devices. I wanted to make it almost entirely maintenance free. That if for some reason the PLC failed, they could put a new PLC in, place the CF Card in, and it will load the correct program, without the need for a copy of RSLogix/Studio 5000.

I tested the operation by modifying the program online, then cycling power and making sure it reverted back to the original program.

My question now is, is the "Load on power up" setting stored on the CF Card or on the PLC? That part wasn't clear in the help files and I did not have another PLC to test out a fresh install on with the CF Card.

It is stored on the CF card. The controllers auto-detect the CF card on power up and then check the CF card to see if it is supposed to load on power up or load on corrupt.

So transferring the CF card to a replacement CPU will automatically keep the load on power up setting as well as flash the controller to your rev 20 firmware.

OG

Thanks, that is what I thought it would be, but didn't want to just assume. And didn't happen to have a second blank controller floating around.