Faults/Alarm Setup In PLC

dylantzips

Let me start off by saying that I am a CO-OP student and I am very new to PLC's.

For my current project I am trying to figure out how to set up Alarms on an HMI. This is the program that was handed off to me: http://prntscr.com/jrpt90.

I have already made a DINT array to have enough values for all of the fault codes. I understand how to link tags from the PLC to the HMI. However, I am not sure how to make the PLC show which fault code is being tripped and then output that code to the HMI.

This is what I have so far and it could be completely wrong: http://prntscr.com/jrpuyd. Would this work?

Sorry if some of my wording does not make sense, I am still learning a lot about PLC's and logic. If what I am doing is wrong, could anyone help steer me in the right direction?

Thanks.

What HMI are you using? You already have the fault code, you don't really need anything more for the HMI. Most HMIs have a multistate indicator or way to make a case statement, so no need to create individual states in the PLC for the HMI.

What is your ultimatel goal for the HMI. Explain what you are trying to do accomplish.

The HMI is using Eaton VisualDesigner. I am trying to get the PLC to recognize what fault code is being triggered. After that the PLC should turn on the corresponding tag. This will then show up on an active alarm header on the HMI, based on the alarm sheet I have created.

I'm not familiar with that HMI, so someone else will have to help, but a lot of HMIs can take a value and then parse for individual bits, I'm not sure mapping in the PLC is necessary. I would investigate that first. Good luck.

Could you explain how I would manually map it in the PLC? Assuming that is what I have to do. That is all I really need help with. I am pretty familiar with the HMI and know how to set up the Alarms.

Could you explain how I would manually map it in the PLC? Assuming that is what I have to do. That is all I really need help with. I am pretty familiar with the HMI and know how to set up the Alarms.

I just noticed you have two threads going on this...

My point was why would you want to map in the PLC? But, the screenshot you gave is one way to do it. I wouldn't use a BOOL array, I would use DINT.

tag[0].0, tag[0].13, tag[1].22, etc.

But again, you already have the fault code, it's a number, you can only have one code at a time. Setup the HMI to use this value and look up text accordingly. Call Eaton or go to their site and see if they have examples.