You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old August 19th, 2018, 11:19 AM   #1
Timeismoney08
United States

Siemens S7 TIA - Best Field buss safety options

Hello,

I'm used to using Allen Bradley RIO options for putting filed IO out in the field and running my safety back to it. Of course I have to use a AB Safety controller.

Does siemens have anything similar? It would be nice if it had m12 4 pin plugs and not require putting in an enclosure. It doesn't need to be Siemens branded, but just talk over Profibus or Profinet safety.

Thanks!
Old August 20th, 2018, 12:42 AM   #2
mk42
United States

Short version: Absolutely yes

Long version:

Profinet is definitely the way forward, I wouldn't recommend Profibus for any new systems.

Siemens themselves have 2 forms of IP65/67 rated IO. ET200Pro is rack based (multiple modules per IP address) and supports standard DI/DQ cards, analogs, safe IO, (failsafe) motor starters, and more. Downside is that the modules and the rack are rather bulky. ET200eco is the individual block style IO, and doesn't have great support for safety. I think there is a failsafe module for Profibus, but nothing on Profinet.

Plenty of other brands have products that support Profisafe over Profinet & Profibus, though. I found this from Turck after a quick google search, and I know I've seen similar modules used before:

https://pdb2.turck.de/en/US/products...0152900008003a

I've also seen some systems recently using Balluff blocks that do Profisafe over IO Link, with the IO Link master on Profinet.

https://www.balluff.com/local/us/new...odule-bni-iof/
Old August 20th, 2018, 08:03 AM   #3
Timeismoney08
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk42 View Post
Short version: Absolutely yes

Long version:

Profinet is definitely the way forward, I wouldn't recommend Profibus for any new systems.

Siemens themselves have 2 forms of IP65/67 rated IO. ET200Pro is rack based (multiple modules per IP address) and supports standard DI/DQ cards, analogs, safe IO, (failsafe) motor starters, and more. Downside is that the modules and the rack are rather bulky. ET200eco is the individual block style IO, and doesn't have great support for safety. I think there is a failsafe module for Profibus, but nothing on Profinet.

Plenty of other brands have products that support Profisafe over Profinet & Profibus, though. I found this from Turck after a quick google search, and I know I've seen similar modules used before:

https://pdb2.turck.de/en/US/products...0152900008003a

I've also seen some systems recently using Balluff blocks that do Profisafe over IO Link, with the IO Link master on Profinet.

https://www.balluff.com/local/us/new...odule-bni-iof/

Thank you for all the information!
Old August 20th, 2018, 08:18 AM   #4
JRW
United States

Looks like profinet is available in failsafe

https://w3.siemens.com/mcms/distribu...?ismobile=true
Old August 20th, 2018, 11:51 AM   #5
cardosocea
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk42 View Post

Sadly, Profibus is still the only viable option for Intrinsically Safe IO.
Old August 20th, 2018, 12:00 PM   #6
mk42
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardosocea View Post
Sadly, Profibus is still the only viable option for Intrinsically Safe IO.
I should have added "with a few exceptions"

I think most of the DCS/Process focused workgroups in the Profinet standard are still in work.

Last edited by mk42; August 20th, 2018 at 12:02 PM.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum