View ME Change Text with Faceplate Change

asmaint2

Supporting Member
I have a view ME version 11 application where I am trying to utilize the faceplates for my 1769 I?O. I have everything working for the faceplates. I have a display with the Go To gfx for all the I/O. Each faceplate pops up on the left of the screen. I wanted to have the descriptions appear on the right side of the screen dependent upon which faceplate was on top. I created another display that would appear on top and in the correct position for the first input card. Not sure the best way to approach this, try to call different displays for each card or can I can automatically change the text of one text box based on the faceplate?? I have made many I/O status screens without faceplates, just trying to learn how to do it this way and looking for suggestions. I would appreciate any advice.

ViewME Faceplates.JPG

Are you using parameters on your faceplate or have you specified tags for each item in your display? For example, if you said "Tag1" that is a specific tag. If you said "#1" that is a parameter.

A parameter is a placeholder that allows you to plug in the tag when the display is opened. That allows you to use the same display over and over using different tags as needed.

OG

Thank you for the response. I am using parameters. I actually got some information about passing information with parameter lists from Rockwell about 5 seconds before your reply. I plan to read through the information as I can, but would appreciate any alternative ideas you may have.

Were you planning on reading the Tag Description from the PLC controller or do you have descriptions in FT View that you prefer to use?

The description in the controller can be read as an Extended Property by adding ".@Description" without the quotes to the end of the tag name. This is assuming you have a controller that supports storing descriptions.

Parameters make it easy to resue a graphic display for common objects. If I have five (or five hundred) of the same objects, I can create and maintain one screen instead of five. Makes future changes a lot easier too. So I use them quite a bit. Most stuff you get from Rockwell uses them too.

OG

OG

Last edited:
That is the kind of question I had as to best practice. I can use the extended properties and I am thinking that would be my preferred route so that any future changes I only have to make the edit in the controller. Thank you

Were you planning on reading the Tag Description from the PLC controller or do you have descriptions in FT View that you prefer to use?

The description in the controller can be read as an Extended Property by adding ".@Description" without the quotes to the end of the tag name. This is assuming you have a controller that supports storing descriptions.

Parameters make it easy to resue a graphic display for common objects. If I have five (or five hundred) of the same objects, I can create and maintain one screen instead of five. Makes future changes a lot easier too. So I use them quite a bit. Most stuff you get from Rockwell uses them too.

OG

OG

I like that ".@Description". Where did you find out how to do that?