Industrial Air Compressor Recommendations

Bullzi

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi everyone,

Working on a project that has 2 Metering Pumps that are Pneumatically actuated. I need to add an Air Compressor to the system and I am looking for some recommendations of a good quality industrial Air Compressor.

This unit will be placed outside so I will need to keep that in mind. I am going to recommend that they build a small shelter for it but who knows if they will.

I plan on adding an Automatic Drain Valve and a line Filter to the system. If you have any other items that you recommend I add please let me know.

Thanks for the help!!

you failed to mention the cfm and psi requirements.
if they fail to place the unit is in a shelter, then ice can form over the intake and stop it up. in regards to the drain valve, do you mean an automatic drain valve?
i also recommend a dryer with auto drain and drop legs to each connection point as a manual water drain. that will save you in the long run. Also, each machine needs an FRL. you also need to make the company aware of the oil used in the air compressor, some oils do no work well with valves and other tooling. Learned that the hard way.
james

Is there a reason that electric motors would not be used? I am not trying to second-guess you or your customer, but adding an outdoor compressor will be a an expense, then you have to consider operating costs. Pneumatic power is typically the most expensive power source. Usually, pneumatic devices are added when there is already a compressor present.

Now, to move to your considerations:
You will need to consider operating environment. Since it will be outside with likely no enclosure, it will need to be able to operate in the hottest and coldest swings of the location. You may need to pre-heat the lubricant in cold weather. Lubricant cooling is typically standard, but if you are in a hot climate, then supplemental cooling mayt need to be added. Another thing is humidity- removing moisture is important with most devices. You may need to consider lubricating the air as well. I would suggest adding monitoring devices that can be viewed remotely as well. Lubrication level, temperature, dryer and lubricator status as well as the standard running / faulted and pressure information. I am not an expert in compressed air systems, but these are the discussions I have been involved with in the past.

Most of my industrial customers have all air go through a cyclone moisture separator, then a Type II dehydrator (Refrigerated) then to general plant usage. Instrument air goes through an additional Type III (desiccant) dryer.

I recommend you contact a couple of local industrial air compressor suppliers and get their recommendations. Make sure you oversize the cfm requirements. You almost never have too much air capacity.

A dryer is a must here in the South but I am a fan of Ingersoll Rand and a screw is also a must, not sure if they make any other type anymore.

On a side note.... anyone looking for a small shop/office OMG California Compressor is the only thing to get, I have one in my shop/office and I an talk on the phone less than 2 feet from it and not have to raise my voice

EDIT: One other thing get a large expansion tank, this way your compressor will not have to work as hard and cycle on/off so many times

Last edited:
Ingersol Rand is a common unit...sizing, dryer, environmental enclosure are all considerations and expenses as well...if generated sound is the reason for putting it outside, building even a block-walled room inside your facility would be more economical...being in Colorado, I'm sure it will be subject to extremes in weather

Thanks for the replies everyone. Here are some answers to your questions:
you failed to mention the cfm and psi requirements.
I have calculated a rate of 1 CF/Min @ 100psig from the compressor. The manual for the pump called for a max of 2068 SCF @ 100psig. There are 2 pumps.

Why air driven pumps?
The pumps are Chemical Injection Pumps and are already installed. They have been using N2 bottles to actuate the system for years and that cost is really adding up. Plus they run out of gas all the time causing alarms and call outs in the middle of the night. They want something more reliable and cheaper to run for the long hall.

if generated sound is the reason for putting it outside, building even a block-walled room inside your facility would be more economical...being in Colorado, I'm sure it will be subject to extremes in weather
The location is kind of remote from the main building. There is a small building right by the location but it will be occupied by personnel from time to time so it is not safe to have it in that building. I am going to design some kind of shelter for the compressor but cant make them build it :) The location is in Oklahoma so not quite as extreme as Colorado but moisture will be a big issue.

Thanks again for all the excellent points and comments!!

Take in consideration that N2 is often used in order to prevent fire or explosion. I would check if it is that case before replacing the N2 with O2.