Devicenet trunkline - panel build

Doug-P

We're going to retrofit some motor control cabinets which currently have ten 1/2 hp motors controlled by A-B 1203-GKs and A-B SMP starters. The replacement will be a devicenet flex I/O adapter, 1794-ADN, driving standard 'dumb' coil starters.

The Dnet to the 1203's is daisy-chained from one end to the other (in on the left, out on the right), occupying about seventeen inches of horizontal real estate. Incoming side of the trunkline is not a problem. However, the trunkline is not going to reach from the outgoing side to the ADN module.

So, my question is: Are there any pitfalls to making up my own trunkline out of stranded AWG #12, on hand, with the correct colors to bridge the gap? I'm thinking of the economics of buying a roll of trunkline to get maybe twenty feet of cable.

Thoughts?

One of the options I have used, is to buy a 20' Class 1 drop cable. The I just cut the end off it and us it like regular DeviceNet cable. This way I know it is cerrtified cable.

Thanks for the reply. The thing is, the trunkline is actually functioning as trunkline. I wouldn't want to go to a drop cable due to the voltage/current issues.

Actually, I was moving the puzzle pieces (wireway, terminal strips, etc.) around on the backplane last night and had one of those šŸ™ƒ moments. It turns out that relocating the powertap, power supply and flex modules to the bottom of the cabinet makes several inches of excess trunkline available on both ends. A nice side effect is that it moves the electronics to the coolest part of the enclosure. Not that heat's a problem in this case but, I like it on principle.

Thanks for the reply. The thing is, the trunkline is actually functioning as trunkline. I wouldn't want to go to a drop cable due to the voltage/current issues.

Actually, I was moving the puzzle pieces (wireway, terminal strips, etc.) around on the backplane last night and had one of those šŸ™ƒ moments. It turns out that relocating the powertap, power supply and flex modules to the bottom of the cabinet makes several inches of excess trunkline available on both ends. A nice side effect is that it moves the electronics to the coolest part of the enclosure. Not that heat's a problem in this case but, I like it on principle.

FYI You can get drop cables that are of the thicknet variety. The only thing you would have to do is lop of one or both molded ends depending on what flavor of cable you buy.