Way OT Troubleshooting Headsets

rkicklighter

All, this is WAY off topic but hope someone may can help me in my quest.

I have googled and googled but can't find what I need.

I do a ton of work in the military arena, areas that are a distance from each other (50 to 500 yards), not line of sight and due to varying construction, radios will not work. (steel ship, copper clad rooms, etc.)

However, all of these locations have Ethernet everywhere. Every I/O cabinet has an Ethernet switch in it. Yes, it is all tied together. Unit will have to work thru Ethernet switches.

What I'm looking for is some type of portable headset device that can be plugged into an Ethernet port at each end and allow voice communications between at least 2 points.

Due to most of this being high noise areas, it should be an over the ear headset with button for push to talk. Something like a racing or industrial high noise headset. Doesn't matter if it's 2 parts like a radio and headset combo.

This will be used for I/O check out and troubleshooting.

Ideas???? So far I have found nothing.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Barix has good stuff that will get your audio into and off of the Ethernet wires. Use a standard headset of your choice.

However, VOIP is pretty bandwidth intensive and simply plugging in VOIP headset into a switch that someone somewhere is in charge of could at best get someone’s panties in a bunch and at worst cause performance problems with the equipment that the switches are there for. Plus, every time you want to use the headset you have to plug in. I wouldn’t give up on wireless so quickly. There are a lot of systems out there that don’t require line of site and would work just fine. You should even be able to find systems with noise canceling making it easier to hear regardless of the background noise.