You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old August 24th, 2004, 09:11 AM   #1
smiller
United States

Panel View plus comm problems

We have recently built a 345KV substation that is using a SLC5/05 for SCADA control and a Panel View plus for local alarm dislay. We have an extensive fiber network to the substations on property and go through a GE JungleMux SONET system. Are there any known problems with the PANEL View plus units? We experience a drastic slowdown of the JMux node when the PV+ is plugged in to the hub. AB has been evasive but mentioned that there are known memory leak issues and then clammed up about it. I am working with a contract engineer on the problem and haven't been able to make any progress. I have tried a different PV+ and an early version of firmware as well as the latest firmware as provided by our vendor. Does anyone have any experience with this? Maybe Mr. Roach?
thanks
smiller
Old August 25th, 2004, 02:57 AM   #2
JesperMP
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Denmark

I think that your PV+ is working as intended. At least, as AB intends Ethernet/IP to work. An Ethernet/IP node will broadcast packets all the time. It is a part of the way Ethernet/IP works.

Maybe you can filter away the undesirable packets by exchanging the hub for a switch (who uses hubs these days ?).
Old August 25th, 2004, 03:01 AM   #3
Ken Roach
United States

Does the PV+ communicate just with the SLC-5/05 on the local network segment, or with SLC-5/05's on remote network segments through the JMux ?

I admit that I don't know anything about SONET links. I always use isolated Ethernet networks for control systems.

PanelView Plus has had it's share of challenges, but I fail to see how some hypothetical memory problem would result in excessive network traffic. There's nothing special about the PVP EtherNet/IP driver that does any broadcasting or multicasting (it's strictly EtherNet/IP Class 3 messaging traffic, as far as I know), so the traffic between the PV+ and the controllers is only what you ask it to be.

Check the "Display Update Rate" for each PV+ display, as well as update rates for any trends. If you have the update set for 50 milliseconds, for example, that might produce a lot more Ethernet traffic than your inter-segment link can handle.

What sort of tools are you using to examine this system ?

Last edited by Ken Roach; August 25th, 2004 at 03:03 AM.
Old August 25th, 2004, 03:09 AM   #4
JesperMP
Denmark

I heard before that an Ethernet/IP node would broadcast in order to query for new connections. Maybe I am wrong.

edit: But even if it doesnt broadcast, if it is connected via a hub, its messages will arrive at all the attached network nodes.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum