You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old February 8th, 2019, 10:39 PM   #1
delforum
United States

Post RSLogix 1756-L71 Read Only Tamperproof Tags

Hello PLCTalk Experts,

I am looking for an elegant solution to allow viewing of the tags current real values in the database by an unauthorized user, but also prevents the other RSLogix user from ever changing the array of real numbers in that tag.
Do you have any suggestions on how to setup the ladder or AOI using source protection to lock the routine?
Old February 9th, 2019, 12:52 AM   #2
James Mcquade
United States

I can understand why you would want to keep maintenance from making program changes, but WHY would you want to keep another programmer from making changes?

my coworker trust each other and we make changes all the time.
we discuss the program changes the next morning.

please explain your application in more detail.

regards,
james
Old February 9th, 2019, 08:48 AM   #3
collinsd70
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by delforum View Post
Hello PLCTalk Experts,

I am looking for an elegant solution to allow viewing of the tags current real values in the database by an unauthorized user, but also prevents the other RSLogix user from ever changing the array of real numbers in that tag.
Do you have any suggestions on how to setup the ladder or AOI using source protection to lock the routine?
Why not just write a constant value to a tag? This stops any changing of values during runtime or choose the 'constant' propery in the Controller Tags?

Regards

Daniel
Old February 10th, 2019, 10:01 AM   #4
delforum
United States

Safety of the equipment is the main concern. If those tags change the equipment could be damaged by higher than rated pressures. Adjustments need to be made but infrequently and only by trained service.

With the constant property marked, what steps would be needed to change the register value? Can it be changed while in remote run online?
Old February 10th, 2019, 10:02 AM   #5
collinsd70
United Kingdom

Quote:
Safety of the equipment is the main concern. If those tags change the equipment could be damaged by higher than rated pressures. Adjustments need to be made but infrequently and only by trained service.

With the constant property marked, what steps would be needed to change the register value? Can it be changed while in remote run online?
I believe the constant tag value has to be amended offline and downloaded complete but im not 100% sure on this.

Regards

Daniel
Old February 10th, 2019, 12:23 PM   #6
collinsd70
United Kingdom

Quote:

Hi Delform.

I have checked this for you on Emulate 5000, so the constant is declared via a Constant 'checkbox' in the Controller Tags and the value can be freely ammended offline/ online using the monitor tags window.

If an attempt is made to write to a constant tag through a routine; a compiler error is generated, so basically the value can only be updated directly.

Regards

Daniel
Old February 10th, 2019, 01:51 PM   #7
Phrog30
United States

If it's that important, hard code the values in a move instruction in a protected routine. Only give the source key to the ones that you want to change. Anyone can still view in the tag database.
Old February 10th, 2019, 03:05 PM   #8
delforum
United States

Thank you Daniel, James and Phrog for your insights. The constant tag may work well if I can put it in a protected AOI local tag database. Then in authorized persons couldn't change that tag value. How would I get that value from an AOI tag into my main task's routine?

Putting move instructions in a source protected routine seems like the simplest solution. A person with the correct protection key could edit the rung online, while others could only view the values.
Old February 10th, 2019, 03:11 PM   #9
dmroeder
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

I would go with source protection rather than AIO, If you put them into an AOI, you are going to have to download every time you want to make changes.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum