Plant wide data monitoring

Gedd

Hi, I have a unique question I think, but a question that has probably came up before. I have an automation cell that contains 10 smaller cells. These smaller cells are made up of a robot and CNC mill (x6), a robot and grinder (x3), and a conveyor system. Each of these smaller cells has it’s own AB PLC. All of these smaller cells are already on our network. What I want to do is log data (i.e. Faults, downtime, throughput, etc.) in someway, store this data on maybe a server, then find a way to broadcast this data in a neat and organized way to a TV screen. I will need to be able to add to the setup as we decide to add more cells but in different areas of the plant with different TV screens.

What would be a good way to start this, store the data, and access this data?
Thanks for any input and feedback.

Each of these smaller cells has it’s own AB PLC. .

Are they Ethernet? I did a similar project that snowballed in a 'do everything' it was a lot of fun but I had to build the whole thing because the PLC's running everything were not on the Ethernet, I ended up using a bunch of DL06 (automation direct) with ecom cards and they were all talking to a RSView web page so managers (in the USA) could login and see the stats of everything running... also had a intercom system that would call maintenance

Hello and thank you for the response. Yes, they are all ethernet. I actually started by putting everything on the network. I don't mind having to build the whole thing as it should be pretty good experience. Ideally I want to be able to do what you did. As an end result I'd like to be able to e-mail whoever needs what information, provide real-time data on an overhead screens outside of the main cell, and expand as needed.

I don't mind having to build the whole thing as it should be pretty good experience.

Yes and it was... I had fun and learned a ton, I put several scrolling displays so everyone could see the production and if they were ahead or behind for the day, it helped a lot and gave them a target to look at

So you need just to sit down and figure out what your end result needs to be, you may or may not need a HMI/SCADA depending on how you want your data to be displayed if you want a PC display then you will need a HMI running and polling data from the PLC's, first setup registers in your PLC's that you can store your data... I know you said AB but what type ? 5/05, 1400's, Compact??

If you are into tinkering your own thing, you could check if there is a syslog command available for your PLC. Alternatively, if you have bare sockets programming access on your plc then create your own syslog command.

Syslog is a standard logging service that you can run on any server computer. There are Linux demons, as well as opensource syslog implementations that can run on a Windows server (or even a Windows pc, more chance though of loosing data due to hardware failure or lack of proper backups). It is traditionally used to log any kind of activity on computers and network devices (like routers, switches). No reason why you could not use it to log events from your factory though.

Add your own flavour of log visualisation, automated emails on certain events, counting, etc

Yes and it was... I had fun and learned a ton, I put several scrolling displays so everyone could see the production and if they were ahead or behind for the day, it helped a lot and gave them a target to look at

So you need just to sit down and figure out what your end result needs to be, you may or may not need a HMI/SCADA depending on how you want your data to be displayed if you want a PC display then you will need a HMI running and polling data from the PLC's, first setup registers in your PLC's that you can store your data... I know you said AB but what type ? 5/05, 1400's, Compact??

Currently I have a PC setup running RSLogix. I was debating using the OPC server as a way to poll data, but I wasn't sure what might be the best way to store it. After that I could create a program to run on windows and broadcast to the TV screen. Also, create a similar program to open on any terminal to query data by cell, date, etc.

If you are into tinkering your own thing, you could check if there is a syslog command available for your PLC. Alternatively, if you have bare sockets programming access on your plc then create your own syslog command.

Syslog is a standard logging service that you can run on any server computer. There are Linux demons, as well as opensource syslog implementations that can run on a Windows server (or even a Windows pc, more chance though of loosing data due to hardware failure or lack of proper backups). It is traditionally used to log any kind of activity on computers and network devices (like routers, switches). No reason why you could not use it to log events from your factory though.

Add your own flavour of log visualisation, automated emails on certain events, counting, etc

That's new to me. I have RSLinx and I was thinking about using the OPC settings to drop data to a spreadsheet and maybe poll from the spreadsheet. I have more experience in VB and C+ then I do PLC's, but I'm not in automation so I'm trying to bridge my knowledge by trying to set something like this up

And in this case I'm using compact logix

I actually started by putting everything on the network.
Make sure your plant/control network is segregated from your company network. You won't want an e-mail or a printer issue taking down your production. Someone may think they can get away with it now, but as your company & control system grows or your SCADA needs increase, this will become even more critical.

OK... I wrote a reply but now I see your doing a little different

me said:
By "broadcast" are you going to write your own or use a HMI... if you know how then a VB (or other) will work if not then you need to use a HMI, there are many out there, we sell PEAK there are others such as Ignition that Ian pointed out or Archies Advanced HMI and you will have a PC running one of the apps going to your monitor

What I wrote you still may want to look at using a HMI... its all going to be about the bells and whistles and you want your graphics to look good and pop!

My VB skills suck so if I could make a box with a value I would be doing good :)

Make sure your plant/control network is segregated from your company network. You won't want an e-mail or a printer issue taking down your production. Someone may think they can get away with it now, but as your company & control system grows or your SCADA needs increase, this will become even more critical.

Here's a short story for you. Just as my managed switch showed up I had someone plug in both ends of an ethernet cable to the same switch... 14 cells when down. So I hear you loud and clear

Last edited:
What version of RSLinx do you have ? I think the pro has a OPC built in and that would save you some money, the OPC I used was from AD and now cost more then the HMI I sell with a OPC, if you are using RSLinx Lite then you will need to get a OPC

What version of RSLinx do you have ? I think the pro has a OPC built in and that would save you some money, the OPC I used was from AD and now cost more then the HMI I sell with a OPC, if you are using RSLinx Lite then you will need to get a OPC

I have OEM with the OPC built in. Now is this a good way to go or do you suggest a the HMI still?

I have OEM with the OPC built in. Now is this a good way to go or do you suggest a the HMI still?

If your VB skills are good then go for it! you can always add the HMI after you get everything running and you have proved your concept and yes OEM has it built in so that will save you some money also