Job Qualifications

I got a call a few month back from a recruiter and he said.

"I have been investigating you and your skills and i have called today to offer you a life changing opportunity"

So I listened just for fun and he said.

"it's 12 hr rotating shifts and on call every other week and they are wanting to place an engineer on each shift"

"If i can get you to sign a contract today we will pay to relocate you to Nebraska (From Georgia) and offer you a salary of 63k per year. That's per year"

I told him it would be a hard pass and he seemed genuinely shocked.

If he considered this a life changing opportunity i would hate to see what he considered a regular or not so great opportuniy sheesh.

It would ave been life changing alright because my wife would have killed me.

We do this

hi all,
i know we all have various experience with plc's and such and i found these requirements on a jobsite for a controls engineer. How many of you can do all of this?

PLC - Allen Bradley: CompactLogix, ControlLogix, SLC 500, PLC 5, MicroLogix, Siemens: 416, Square D: Symax 50, Festo: Smart Valve,
HMI - Allen Bradley: Panelview, Panelview Plus, Siemens: TP, OP Series.
Communications - Allen Bradley Ethernet I/P, ControlNet, Devicenet, Siemens: Profibus.
Variable Frequency Drives - Allen Bradley Powerflex, SEW Eurodrive.
Robotics – Denso, Epson, FANUC, (Staubli 6 and 4 axis robots,Bosch SCARA).
Linear Actuators - Intelligent Actuator, Festo, Tolomatic, Rexroth.
Servos – Allen Bradley: Kenetics 6000, SERCOS Servo Drive Interface, Yaskawa: SGDV, SGDH.
Vision – Keyence / Panasonic / Cognex / DVT.
Data Acquistion - Keithley: DAS-1400, DAS-1600, PIO-120
Software knowledge

PLC - Allen Bradley: RSLogix 5000, RSLogix 500, Siemens: Step 7, Square D, Festo.
HMI - Allen Bradley: FactoryTalk View Studio, RSView, PanelBuilder, Siemens: ProTool.
Communications - Allen Bradley: RSNetworks, RSLinx, Ethernet, ControlNet, DeviceNet, Siemens: Profibus.
Robotics - Adept V+, QuickBasic.
Servos - Allen Bradley: Kinetics 6000, SEW: Motion Studio.
Application Development - Visual Basic v4.0, v5.0, v6.0, National Instruments LabWindows

Regards,
james

As a large end-user we do this when asking for candidates all the time. It starts with whatever the internal job description is which is usually fairly inflated to begin with and then goes to HR who google "What is a PLC" and add a few extras, then to Bob who managed the plant 30years ago who adds some random names he (miss)remembers and whatever the guy who used to do it would look after then on to a recruiting firm who add in their generic "Client wants Programmer" spiel.
We were interviewing a promising candidate recently who nervously disclosed he couldn't do C++ or Python but did have some experience in Pascal. Obviously not relevant (we were recruiting for a maintenance control engineer, he was very overqualified but unsure of himself and a poor interviewee) but in one of the verisons of the add it had added in all these more computer than automation languages by one of the external marketers.

Add to this that actually all those doing controls here also have High Voltage qualifications which isn't that common (Why? - because electrics..) and I imagine our adverts look similar.
Plus the pay is always advertised lowball. Hey, we have offices in America, maybe it was us!

In the end it makes no difference to those doing the interviewing how many ticks you tick off, you get a "Knows Robotics 0-3" "Knows PLC 0-3" "knows motion 0-3" "knows fault finding 0-3" score. If that was our ad and you were happy with the pay(...) and could talk persuasively about any PLC and any Robot you'd get the offer.
The main thing I look for is, do they know enough to learn the rest off their own back (We don't do training ;) ) and cope with some pressure, so long as the answer is a yes to both I'm pretty happy.