GE Proficy Machine Edition renaming variables

A_G

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a GE Proficy Machine Edition v9.5 project. I have to rename about 100 variables but keep the same addresses. (The customer is getting a copy of the logic and wants these variables renamed)

What is the easiest/fastest way to do this? Is there any way to export variables to a spreadsheet, modify the names in the spreadsheet, then import them back?

Thanks in advance!

I think what you are looking for is Variables Tab then Export to CSV then make changes and Import the csv and overwrite existing variables.

Make a backup before you do this.
It is kind of tricky in doing the import. You have to pay attention to if you are changing variable name or variable address.

What Nathan said...
If you rename the variable, then when you import, you are not overwriting the existing variable.
You may get a duplicate address warning, I don't remember.
After you import the 100 tags, you may need to manually delete the old ones from the Variable table.

What Nathan said...
If you rename the variable, then when you import, you are not overwriting the existing variable.
You may get a duplicate address warning, I don't remember.
After you import the 100 tags, you may need to manually delete the old ones from the Variable table.

You can choose on import to use existing variables (over write existing addresses) or existing addresses (over write existing variables).

Make sure you pay close attention to what you pick to do in the import windows! You have to read a few times to make sure of your choice...