Resetting counter at midnight when a machine is off

helphelphelp

Hello,

I'm trying to program a machine to reset a counter at midnight. I can do this no problem but I have a question about what will happen when the machine is powered off.

I currently have the counter set up to reset when the clock strikes midnight. When hour, minute and second are all 0, the counter resets. If the machine were to be powered off for some reason at the time the machine resets, unlikely but not impossible, the counter would then not be reset because it never sees the hour, minute and second hit 0.

Is there a way around this? Is there another condition I can add to reset the counter after powerup if it's a new day?

Thanks for the help!

Cheers

It can reset on power up, but only if it didn't already reset at midnight if that makes any sense. It's to be reset once daily after midnight.

It can reset on power up, but only if it didn't already reset at midnight if that makes any sense. It's to be reset once daily after midnight.

Can you just use the midnight hour to reset your counter with a oneshot? This would give you an hour to reset your count in case the machine is powered down? Still no help if the PLC is down over an hour though?

Last edited:
That is an improvement for sure.

EDIT: However that could be a problem if the machine is power cycled more than once during that hour.

Last edited:
That is an improvement for sure.

EDIT: However that could be a problem if the machine is power cycled more than once during that hour.
Never though of that. so add another counter and reset that one when not equal to midnight...…...and add that counter to your original reset rung with the an equal to 0 on the accumulator of the new counter?

If it's that critical, just get a cheap 24v UPS just for the PLC, it will stay on even if the machine is turned off, unless of course you leave it off for months on end!