FactoryTalk View SE 11

CRom11

Hi,
currently working on a big project with several integrators involved. Just wondering if there's a rule of thumb of how many topics/shortcuts can I have pointing to the same PLC. Every area has a different developer who is using their own shortcut but the destination PLC is the same.
Thanks

While judicious use of extra shortcuts can improve communications efficiency a tiny bit, unless you are looking at tens of thousands of tags, I would stay away.

Each new shortcut (at least in older versions of FTView) use at least one connection to the processor, and connections running low can become a huge issue. The L8x Processors handle things so much better than anything earlier it may not be a problem.

You might never see a problem with an L8x CPU, and an EN2T or better module, but other devices, like the CompactLogix line are very connection restricted.

On the development side, that seems to be a plain nightmare. Why use different shortcuts everywhere? Just pick one and stick with it.

We're using L84S with E4TR module so we should be OK on that front.

I was wondering from more practical point of view or recommended/right way to do it. Haven't worked with v11 yet and previously we always used only one device shortcut for the exact reasons you described. Also the other developer parties have created separate HMI servers (still residing on a single physical server as we have only one licence with unlimited displays) to split the project, which is again something we never used to do even in larger applications (previous versions of FTViewSE) so was wondering if those recommendations/guide lines have changed in the recent version

Thanks