You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old September 26th, 2017, 05:21 AM   #1
AFPC
Syria

Can't delete RSLOGIX and FACTORYTALK tags

Dear all:
In our plant I have an ALLEN BRADLEY PLC 1756-L73 for controlling the plant and an AADVANCE PLC for safeguarding system. For the HMI I have FACTORYTALK monitoring both. For AADVANCE the communication with FACTORYTALK is through an OPC server that uses MODBUS to communicate with the PLC. HMI tags are defined in FACTORYTALK corresponding to the tags in the AADVANCE PLC. Then these HMI tags in FACTORY are used for alarming and graphics connections etc. For the RSLOGIX the controller tags are referred to directly by FACTORYTALK.
Recently we decommissioned two pumps. I wanted to remove every thing related to them in the system. I removed all the logic , the graphics, the alarms , data log... etc that is related to them. When I wanted to remove the tags I couldn't remove some tags from RSLOGIX online. I got a message that these tags are being used. The same happened when I wanted to remove the HMI tags used by FACTORYTALK to connect to the AADVANCE PLC tags. I'm sure I have removed all the references to these tags.

As all the tags that I was denied to delete look to have something to do with alarming, could it be that the alarm server is still monitoring them?
How can I delete RSLOGIX tags from the alarm server?
WHat about factory talk HMI tags? I stopped the data logging and restarted it. I stopped alarming together then restarted it but the problem persisted.
Any suggestions?
Old September 26th, 2017, 07:03 AM   #2
spaderkung
Sweden

Is there an option for the alarm server to Start on windows or Start on client connects? Then change and restart pc, then services are stopped. I have used this for other cases than yours though..
Old September 26th, 2017, 07:34 AM   #3
AFPC
Syria

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaderkung View Post
Is there an option for the alarm server to Start on windows or Start on client connects? Then change and restart pc, then services are stopped. I have used this for other cases than yours though..
Thank you for the response
The problem that by restarting the server machine, the operators will be blind for a while to the critical measurements from the AADVANCE. The safety standards of our company don't allow that even for a brief minute without shutting down the plant.
Old September 26th, 2017, 08:28 AM   #4
Mispeld
United States

The option exists to delete the unused tag(s) in an up-to-date offline file and then download to the processor. This would require downtime on the machine, but would force the communication process (e.g., RS-Linx) to refresh its connection with the machine. Assuming the deleted tags are no longer referenced by server processes, all should be OK.
Old September 26th, 2017, 11:09 AM   #5
AFPC
Syria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mispeld View Post
The option exists to delete the unused tag(s) in an up-to-date offline file and then download to the processor. This would require downtime on the machine, but would force the communication process (e.g., RS-Linx) to refresh its connection with the machine. Assuming the deleted tags are no longer referenced by server processes, all should be OK.
Thank you for the response. But this will need a plant shutdown.
Old September 26th, 2017, 12:34 PM   #6
jstolaruk
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFPC View Post
Thank you for the response. But this will need a plant shutdown.
No harm in just allowing the unused tags to exist. Delete them before the next download.
Old September 27th, 2017, 01:24 AM   #7
AFPC
Syria

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstolaruk View Post
No harm in just allowing the unused tags to exist. Delete them before the next download.
Probably this is the only choice I have. Thank you
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum