Rslogix 5000 Firmware support

MikeUK

Trying to get my head around the Firmware support system that Rockwell is using with Rslogix 5000. I am running Version 18 which to my mind should give me support for processors at least up to firmware 18.

Now I have a new Compactlogix L32E/B to which you must load firmware 16 , 17, 19 or 20. So I tried 16 then 17 and I am about to try 19 but dont expect any joy.

Is there anyway to determine which firmware product/firmware Rslogix 5000 actually supports?

If you only installed v18, than you can only support v18 firmware.

You must install all versions of RSLogix5000 required to support the various firmware you may have in your facility.

If you have v16, v17 and v18 firmware in your facility, you need to install v16, v17 and v18 versions of the software. Once you have all versions installed, RSLogix will open the files as required, you don't need to select which firmware you need to support, as long as it is installed RSLogix will figure it out.

When you install RSLogix5000 from the DVD you have the options to select and install the versions you require.

EDIT: I typically install from v15 to the current release whenever I load a new laptop or VM.

Thanks Paully's5.0 I threw the DVD in and installed the other versions as you suggested and that has got me away again.

Now I am trying to figure out why I have not come up against the problem over the past few years having setup a lot of L32E's.

Anyway thank for the help spot on.

Now I am trying to figure out why I have not come up against the problem over the past few years having setup a lot of L32E's.

Perhaps you flashed these earlier L32E's to firmware rev. 18 ?

That's the only way you could have worked with them if you only had version 18 of RSLogix5000 installed.

Yes of course your right that can be the only explanation and sure enough the L32E/B is not supported in ver.18 But 16, 17, 19 and later are fine.

Thankfully I had my DVD at hand, if I had been on site this could have been a costly problem.

Hi

You can check the firmware version using linx by right clicking on the processor and then select properties

Donnchadh

Unfortunately, you need to install versions in order. thus, if you have v19 installed and you need v18. you need to unistall v19 first and then install v18 and then v19 again. I have been through this loop umpteen times now. You may be worthwhile clearing out your registry values too and the initial uninstall.

Hi

I have installed ver 18 after I version 19 installed and it worked for me. I also added in ver 17 after this it was a new laptop and I just installed the versions as I needed them.

Donnchadh

Yeah, I have never had an issue installing an older version after a newer version. As long as the O/S supported it, never had an issue.

Perhaps what he is referring to is that if you wish to install a version previous to v10, you had to install that version first, then install the newer versions. That is the only time I have ever run into this.

OG

bgtorque said:
Unfortunately, you need to install versions in order. thus, if you have v19 installed and you need v18. you need to unistall v19 first and then install v18 and then v19 again...

OG,

bgtorque did mention v18 and v19 specifically, so I don't think he's referring back to pre v10 installations?

bgtorque said:
...I have been through this loop umpteen times now. You may be worthwhile clearing out your registry values too and the initial uninstall.

Umpteen times? I don't doubt you, but I am curious as to what's happening here? I'm sure this is not the norm?

Can you remember what, if any, error messages you got?

As far as I'm aware, the versions can be installed in any order as required. I recently re-installed v10-v13 on top of v15-v20 without issue. I've done similarly in the past. I know you can run into some issues with older versions overwriting newer version DLL files, etc., which usually requires re-installing the newer version(s) again, but that hasn't happened to me so far.

Tip: Usually, to open a particular version of RSLogix 5000, one opens the *.ACD file and it auto loads the correct version for that project file. If, for instance, you wanted to start a project from scratch, using a particular version, then look in...

Windows 32bit: C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\RSLogix 5000\ENU

OR

Windows 64bit: C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockwell Software\ RSLogix 5000\ENU

Here you'll see individual folders for all the versions you have installed. In the Bin folder, inside each version's folder, you'll find the RS5000.Exe file for that version. If you start RSLogix 5000 from the version folder's executable, it will open in that versions environment. Look at Help/About to view current version. You could then also create shortcuts on the desktop or in a folder for each version's executable if you wish for convenience.

MikeUK said:
Is there anyway to determine which firmware product/firmware Rslogix 5000 actually supports?

This might also answer your question.

G.

Last edited: