You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old July 18th, 2004, 04:42 PM   #1
gmultani52
Canada

SLC 20A communication

Hi
I want to conect slc 500, 20A to laptop. i have 1747-pic with 25 pin female socket, But my problem is that laptop having 9 pin serial port. how to connect my laptop. please advice.I also have cable C-10 which communicate to hht dirrecty. thanks
Old July 18th, 2004, 05:19 PM   #2
tom_stalcup
United States

On the mechanical side, you most likely need to use a parallel-serial adapter(25pin-9pin). The adapter will plug into your computer, and the C-10 will plug into the slc 500. Do you already know how to set up the RSLinx?

Last edited by tom_stalcup; July 18th, 2004 at 05:25 PM.
Old July 18th, 2004, 05:23 PM   #3
cnrservices
United States

To connect your laptop to the PIC you need a standard serial cable (Radio Shack) and a DB9 to DB25 adapter (also Radio Shack)
Old July 18th, 2004, 05:53 PM   #4
gmultani52
Canada

Hi tom,
cable i will get from radio shack.
now how to communicate though rs linx. there maybe problem of password also becouse slc i purchaged from e-bay. so how to clear it. Thanks
Old July 18th, 2004, 06:08 PM   #5
tom_stalcup
United States

As an additional note, a lot of people have problems getting the PIC drivers to work with Windows2000 or XP. I have been able to get 2000 to work, but have never tried XP. I've read that the older pic boxes are not supported.
In RSLinx, you will need to open the "configure drivers" box. In the list of running drivers, if you have anything running that uses the com port, you will have to stop (or sometimes delete) that driver.
In the drop down menu next to the add new slot, select the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver, and add it. You will probably need to select the "reserve this com port for exclusive use" box. At this point, if using 2000, I've always had to shutdown and restart my computer. After that, you should be able to connect to the slc.
Old July 18th, 2004, 07:13 PM   #6
gmultani52
Canada

I laotop with os 98SE.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum