1400E initially learning program setup

rowens

I am learning programming on my own for the AB 1400E touch screen.I would like to expand my capabilities here at work.
No one else here has a desire for PLCs.

I am using a SLC 5/04 PLC and am planning on using DH+ for communication between the two.I have written a basic program to operate a small conveyor system that is in operation and works well. I am currently using physical pushbuttons wired to inputs instead of a touch screen.

I understand that I will need to add more to this program to interact with the touch screen.I just do not know exactly how to proceed.I have all the necessary software and have been playing around some. Just enough to confuse me.
I have very limited experiance with touch screens as far as writing the code for it.I helped do an Omron one several years ago at a different job but did not get to assist much.

I thank you for any insight anyone can give me.

I opened the 1400E software and selected DH+ as communication.
I created a screen and named it "Main".

My first questions are as follows:
I know that a pushbutton needs to interact with a memory address in the PLC program. When I create a push button such as a latched push button it naturally has two states. It asks for a name. I gave it the name of "start" for simplicity at this time.

Clicking on it give me a screen to "configure button".
This screen asks for information:
Button control.
indicator state.
handshake.

I do not understand the terms as they are being used here.Can someone please explain in simple terms what is being asked for here? an example would be nice. I went to "help" but it did not get through my head.

I know that an internal PLC memory address should be used in some way as a link between this button and the PLC.

I would like to have state 1 as "off" and the button red and state 2 as "on" and green while changing an address from 0 to 1 in the PLC. I am familiar with internal addresses such as B9:0/8.
Is this the type of addressing I need to use? If so, how do I go about making this type of interface.

I can not find a way to change the colors of the two states. currently state 1 is blue and state 2 is red. How do I change the blue to red? I had a color pallett up on the screen but it would not let me change it. Does the other information have to be assigned first?

After I understand the replies I will return with a couple of addition questions about objects.

thanks again,
Ricky

I am currently working on PV1400e to PVPlus conversion. I might suggest that you work on a newer panel if at all possible. I believe the 1400 is no longer being produced, and it is very confusing to learn on compared to newer models. If it's all you have, I'll be happy to try and help

The 1400E panel is what I have available to use. it was purchased several years ago for a diferent project but the project was scrapped be for it was used.
I appreciate any help.

Hi Ricky,

It has been a long time since I have worked on a PV1400e.
From what I can remember, it was very important to download the manuals. Have you done this?

Try this link
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/public/documents/webassets/browse_results.hcst?lineTitle=PanelView%20e&familyTitle=Graphic%20Terminals&categoryTitle=Operator%20Interface&xLanguage=EN%20-%20English&CategoryId=0024&FamilyId=2841&passedLangVal=EN%20-%20English

Post back if you cannot get the manuals, or need further help

Best of luck
Ian

I have the manuals. It is a lot of information but most of it is written in a high technical type language and hard to find.I have been told this is ABs normal way. I was hoping someone could explain in simple terms.

For DH+ you have to assign a Node Name to your PLC, which can be whatever you want, then you have to tell the PV what the PLC station number is on the DH+. Each tag you define will need to know what PLC it is referring to by use of the Node Name. Each tag has a Scan Class which basically defines how often the PV should update itself with new data from the PLC and write data to the PLC. This needs to be fast enough to avoid a delay when pushing a touch button, but not so fast as to clog up the DH+.

From there you use the SLC address directly in your PV tags. If you want a button to control bit B9:0/8, that is the address you use in the PV.

Button control would be the PLC input address that changes when you push the button.

Indicator would be an output from the PLC that changes the state of the button from 1 to 2, or blue to red in your case. Your PLC may have simple logic that energizes the indicator output when the button input is on.

Handshake is an output from the PLC that tells the PV that the button press was recognized.
Best thing to do is to try different things and see what happens and consult the sample PV programs that come with the software. You will end up writing a small piece of logic for every item you put on your screen except for descriptive text.

rowens said:
Clicking on it give me a screen to "configure button".
This screen asks for information:
Button control.
indicator state.
handshake.

I do not understand the terms as they are being used here.Can someone please explain in simple terms what is being asked for here? an example would be nice. I went to "help" but it did not get through my head.

I have never used the enhanced Windows version software, but have used the packages prior to and after. All follow the same concepts with slight changes in actual assignment names. For example, PDS (PanelBuilder Development Software, a DOS application) uses the terms 'Button Control Address' and 'Indicator State Address'. PanelBuilder32 software uses the terms 'Write Tag' and 'Indicator Tag' to refer to the same functionality repectively. There may be someone who corrects me, but I believe the version you have was the first to use tag assignments instead of address assignments.

To answer your question for a momentary push button:

Button Control = Assign a tag to this field. The tag will be a bit address in the PLC. This is the bit that will be set to a 1 (or reset to a 0, depending on the assigned initial state of the button) when the button is pressed. When the button is released, the bit will be toggled back to its original state prior to the button being pressed.

Indicator State = Assign a tag to this field. The tag will be a bit address in the PLC. The field is associated with the buttons appearance. This assignment can be the same as the Button Control but does not have to be. For example: If it is the same assignment and the button is pressed, the indicator will react and change to its opposite assigned state as soon as the button is pressed. If it is assigned to a unique bit other than the control bit, it will follow the state of that bit without regard to the control bit.

Handshake = Assign a tag to this field. The tag will be a bit address in the PLC. This field is used in conjunction with a latched push button. This will be the bit that unlatches the button from the PLC.

Hopefully this helps.

Thank you Steve708 and Aiki202.
This explains it much better than the tutorial.
The software I have was purchased about 6 years ago.
I will give it a try as soon as I get a little free time (hopefully today).
If anyone has additional information or suggestions, I would love to hear them.

Learning as I go.