1734-AENT broken? No ping and HTTP

Hi All,

Have got a problem which i first thought to be a network problem but now starting to think we have got a broken 1734-AENT PointIO unit.

Before i start explaning the complete layout of the system i have 2 questions.

1. Should the PointIO module just come online and webinterface accessible when I connect it together with a laptop on a switch? Is the unit depending on other equipment to come online/accessible? (For example, does it need to see an HMI/CPU to boot?)

2. Is the software in the PointIO system specific? If not, then setting the last IP digit using the “thumb wheels” is enough replace it with another PointIO unit?

In short the problem is that the unit seems to be offline while the whole network seems to operate fine. Cannot ping the PointIO unit, and also not access the web interface.

Led status is as below.
55LhjuV

https://imgur.com/a/55LhjuV

On the main unit all LED's are steady green, except "Network status" and PointBus status" are unlit

On all modules the network status led is unlit.

According manual, the network status led being unlit means the unit has no IP number. (However, a while ago i could still reach the unit while it had the same status.)

Also connected the PointIO unit to a different switch together with a laptop, but also then i couldn't reach the webinterface. Powercycles do not change the situation.

The 1768-ENBT/A CPU in the same network but on a different switch i can access without any problem from both switches in the network.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited:
Just to verify, the address you are attempting to ping/access it at is 192.168.1.157?

As far as I know you should be able to access the web interface even with just a laptop plugged directly into it; adding a switch shouldn't change anything.

It seems very odd to me to see Network Activity green with Network Status off -- is the former solid or flashing?

Before changing out the module it may be worth attempting a factory reset -- set the address switches to 888 and cycle power (then either change the switches back and cycle power again to restore the IP address, or use a bootp/dhcp tool to check whether you can see it without an IP address set).

If you do end up replacing it, since you appear to be using the switches to set the address I would expect no further setup to be necessary.

Just to verify, the address you are attempting to ping/access it at is 192.168.1.157?

As far as I know you should be able to access the web interface even with just a laptop plugged directly into it; adding a switch shouldn't change anything.

It seems very odd to me to see Network Activity green with Network Status off -- is the former solid or flashing?

Before changing out the module it may be worth attempting a factory reset -- set the address switches to 888 and cycle power (then either change the switches back and cycle power again to restore the IP address, or use a bootp/dhcp tool to check whether you can see it without an IP address set).

If you do end up replacing it, since you appear to be using the switches to set the address I would expect no further setup to be necessary.

Hi, thanks for your reply!

I used a switch because i wasn't sure if i needed a cross patch cable to connect to it directly. So used straight patch cables with a switch.

Led status seems odd to me as well, the "network activity" is hardly active, just very occasionally it blinks once, most of the time solid. It flashes far less then you normally would expect from a network activity led.

Factory reset i can do, but was very reluctant to do so because i didn't now if the software is lost then.

I was indeed approaching the unit at 192.168.1.157, see below screengrab. This was the moment i still could access the webinterface while the led status is like i described above here.

https://imgur.com/a/9frXcOs

I do not believe a crossover cable is necessary, but regardless you should be able to see it with a switch. I like to plug directly in with a known good cable to eliminate external connection issues as a possibility, but if you've otherwise verified those there's no problem with your setup.

Solid green Network Activity indicates 'Link Established' which is obviously not what you'd expect if it indeed lacks an IP address as the Network Status indicator shows. That particular combination of lit/unlit makes me suspect the unit is indeed faulty.

Further digging in the manual suggests that when replacing the adapter (and probably if you factory reset) you will have to set the chassis size before it will establish an I/O connection to the conroller:
User Manual said:
Adapter Replacement

Note that during a connection request from the controller, the chassis size setting is not communicated to the adapter. You must always set this chassis size using a separate operation. This includes situations when you are replacing an adapter. The adapter does not allow any I/O connections until it is configured with the appropriate chassis size and the proper number of POINT I/O modules are present.

The manual gives a complete step by step guide for replacement, with 14 of the 16 steps covering the physical swap, with the final two being 'set the IP address' and 'set the chassis size'. You're using the switches to set the IP address, and you can either also use the switches to set the chassis size or you can access the web interface and set it there once you have the IP address assigned.

Your reluctance to factory reset it is understandable. It certainly wouldn't be my first troubleshooting step either, but if your next step is going to be replacement it can hardly hurt.

I do not believe a crossover cable is necessary, but regardless you should be able to see it with a switch. I like to plug directly in with a known good cable to eliminate external connection issues as a possibility, but if you've otherwise verified those there's no problem with your setup.

Solid green Network Activity indicates 'Link Established' which is obviously not what you'd expect if it indeed lacks an IP address as the Network Status indicator shows. That particular combination of lit/unlit makes me suspect the unit is indeed faulty.

Further digging in the manual suggests that when replacing the adapter (and probably if you factory reset) you will have to set the chassis size before it will establish an I/O connection to the conroller:

The manual gives a complete step by step guide for replacement, with 14 of the 16 steps covering the physical swap, with the final two being 'set the IP address' and 'set the chassis size'. You're using the switches to set the IP address, and you can either also use the switches to set the chassis size or you can access the web interface and set it there once you have the IP address assigned.

Your reluctance to factory reset it is understandable. It certainly wouldn't be my first troubleshooting step either, but if your next step is going to be replacement it can hardly hurt.

Thanks once more again!

Setting the ip and chassis size is clear and easy to do, but what i also read is that i have to add all the PointIO unit to the adapter using the configuration software?

See this page https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1734-um018_-en-e.pdf#page=53

Or will it find and configure/re-initiate those PointIO modules by itself and configure automatically to get them back to work? (After setting chassis size)

Because if it doesn't, resetting this unit and setting the IP and chassis size still doesn't help me. First of all i haven't got the configuration software to set the modules, and secondly i haven't got enough experience with this software to do so. If this step is needed i probably have to get in a professional.

It is prudent to be careful with a system you are not experienced with, but in this case I think you can undertake replacing the unit.

I can't explain why the Network Status on the 1734-AENT is turned off. Normally that means it's literally unplugged from the network. So it really could just have a failed Ethernet port. Damage to the physical connector or the PHY level electronics inside could make it disconnected without also triggering an internal diagnostic or self-test failure.

The Network Status LEDs on the POINT modules themselves really indicate the status of their comms with the Adapter via the POINTBus; they don't have anything to do with the Ethernet.

The good news is that your adapter is definitely using the pushwheel-set IP address: 192.168.1.157.

So the only thing you need to reconfigure on a replacement unit is the Chassis Size, which can be done with a web browser.

For POINT I/O on EtherNet/IP or ControlNet, all of the other configuration data is stored in the ControlLogix user program configuration, and will be downloaded automatically to the modules when the ControlLogix reconnects to them.

The only hiccup I can foresee is if your program is using strict Electronic Keying and your replacement 1734-AENT is not the exact same firmware revision. Most programs choose "compatible keying" and won't have a problem.

It is prudent to be careful with a system you are not experienced with, but in this case I think you can undertake replacing the unit.

I can't explain why the Network Status on the 1734-AENT is turned off. Normally that means it's literally unplugged from the network. So it really could just have a failed Ethernet port. Damage to the physical connector or the PHY level electronics inside could make it disconnected without also triggering an internal diagnostic or self-test failure.

The Network Status LEDs on the POINT modules themselves really indicate the status of their comms with the Adapter via the POINTBus; they don't have anything to do with the Ethernet.

The good news is that your adapter is definitely using the pushwheel-set IP address: 192.168.1.157.

So the only thing you need to reconfigure on a replacement unit is the Chassis Size, which can be done with a web browser.

For POINT I/O on EtherNet/IP or ControlNet, all of the other configuration data is stored in the ControlLogix user program configuration, and will be downloaded automatically to the modules when the ControlLogix reconnects to them.

The only hiccup I can foresee is if your program is using strict Electronic Keying and your replacement 1734-AENT is not the exact same firmware revision. Most programs choose "compatible keying" and won't have a problem.

Thank you very much, very helpfull and much appreciated!

Will think about what i will do next. First a reset on this one, or, another option is getting another unit. We should have another unit available, but this is in our warehouse ashore, and i am offshore at the moment, so might take some time before i get it.

Looks like its pretty safe to reset the present unit first, the whole system is down anyway...

My last observations, if this doesn't point me in another direction then i will go for the PointIO unit reset and or/renewal.

Below some pictures/screengrabs of the CPU unit 1768-ENBT/A, does this show anything strange?

What i notice is that the I/O led is off, should this not be on?

Manual says if I/O led is unlit.:
* There are no devices in the I/O configuration of
the controller.
* The controller does not contain a project
(controller memory is empty).

But also says this is normal operation? Sounds conflicting or not?

On the last picture the I/O counters stats are shown, all are zero ?

Furthermore a brief overview of the whole system. All network links seems to be okay, can access the CPU from every position in the network.

https://imgur.com/a/NB4XLcO

Ps. ignore the dust .... :)

My last observations, if this doesn't point me in another direction then i will go for the PointIO unit reset and or/renewal.

Below some pictures/screengrabs of the CPU unit 1768-ENBT/A, does this show anything strange?

What i notice is that the I/O led is off, should this not be on?

Manual says if I/O led is unlit.:
* There are no devices in the I/O configuration of
the controller.
* The controller does not contain a project
(controller memory is empty).

But also says this is normal operation? Sounds conflicting or not?

On the last picture the I/O counters stats are shown, all are zero ?

Furthermore a brief overview of the whole system. All network links seems to be okay, can access the CPU from every position in the network.

https://imgur.com/a/NB4XLcO

Ps. ignore the dust .... :)

Curiouser and curiouser...

The I/O light being off is 'normal operation' if the program has no configured I/O devices (a controller with no project obviously has no configured I/O). The zeroes in the I/O counter stats would seem to agree with that. If it has any I/O configured, then it should either be solid green (no problems connecting to anything), flashing green (failed to connect to something), or flashing red (failed to connect to anything).

In other words, this sounds conflicting with a program that is using the AENT (or any other I/O), but is consistent with the controller program itself somehow not having any I/O configured. Can you go online with the controller and provide a screenshot of the I/O configuration in the controller organizer?

But even if the program somehow doesn't have the AENT configured as I/O, that shouldn't in any way interfere with your ability to connect to the AENT and bring up its web page o_O

As Ken noted, all configuration except chassis size and IP address is stored in the controller. Since we now observe potential issues with the controller I/O setup, I would try to go online and look at that before doing anything further with the AENT. It does still seem like the AENT is bad though, for all the reasons previously stated.

Curiouser and curiouser...

The I/O light being off is 'normal operation' if the program has no configured I/O devices (a controller with no project obviously has no configured I/O). The zeroes in the I/O counter stats would seem to agree with that. If it has any I/O configured, then it should either be solid green (no problems connecting to anything), flashing green (failed to connect to something), or flashing red (failed to connect to anything).

In other words, this sounds conflicting with a program that is using the AENT (or any other I/O), but is consistent with the controller program itself somehow not having any I/O configured. Can you go online with the controller and provide a screenshot of the I/O configuration in the controller organizer?

But even if the program somehow doesn't have the AENT configured as I/O, that shouldn't in any way interfere with your ability to connect to the AENT and bring up its web page o_O

As Ken noted, all configuration except chassis size and IP address is stored in the controller. Since we now observe potential issues with the controller I/O setup, I would try to go online and look at that before doing anything further with the AENT. It does still seem like the AENT is bad though, for all the reasons previously stated.

That's also what puzzled me, we have an I/O unit in the system but the CPU doesn't seems to have one configured (anymore).

Your question:
"Can you go online with the controller and provide a screenshot of the I/O configuration in the controller organizer?"

Is this just via the webinterface like my screenshots? I don't see exactly what page or tab you mean.

Appearantly there is also a 2nd Ethernet/IP unit in the system which is supposed to serve as a webserver? Its not connected to anything though, but show an IP in the display. Would this webserver give more information? At the moment i am conecting to 192.168.1.150 which is the right one of the 2 Ethernet/IP modules.

Last edited:
And you will need the version that is compatible with the processor that you have.

Do you have a copy of the offline file, if you do, you can open it with notepad to see what version it is then download and install that version, this assumes you have a license for the software.
You could download in install RSLinx and use that to see what the version of your processor is.

And you will need the version that is compatible with the processor that you have.

Do you have a copy of the offline file, if you do, you can open it with notepad to see what version it is then download and install that version, this assumes you have a license for the software.
You could download in install RSLinx and use that to see what the version of your processor is.

No haven't got anything, no license, no software, no offline file. I will need the supplier of the system for that, so i guess we need to call in professional help as i am sure they will supply the offline file etc.

The file for the ControlLogix processor will have a .acd extension, or maybe a .l5k.

Allright!

Can a Panelview HMI also depend on information from the CPU, just like PointIO unit? There are 2 Panelview HMI's in the system, on boots normally, but no readings are shown which is normal as the PointIO unit is offline.

But the other HMI keeps "Loading symbol from RSLinx Enterprise" forever and then says it has timed out giving you 2 options, F7 or F8.
See below pics.

https://imgur.com/a/bWKUaZf

Last edited: