Use 1734 AENT with missing modules/nodes

Mashymoo

Hello,

There is a small test rig in our work which is sometimes salvaged for parts. The test rig is connected to a small robot used for training. All of this is unconnected from the process line/plant network. Someone has taken some of the modules from the 1734 AENT leaving empty spaces.

The module is kicking up errors due to the missing nodes, I’m wondering if there is a way to ‘skip’ the blank nodes, as these are not used.

I have tried to inhibit the none used nodes but to no avail.

Any help would be great! Thanks.

I think the only way to skip them and to have the chassis be happy is to fill the empty spaces with ARM modules.

Don’t think our maintenance budget will allow me to buy the ARM modules :( guess I’ll have to replace the modules with others I’ve scavenged.

Just have that a go o our test rig. Even after deleting then node from the chassis and removing it I still get fieldbus errors. Putting the module back in even though it’s been deleted seems to sort it.

There's a basic configuration for the POINT adapter where you have to set the Chassis Size, which is 1 for the Adapter itself, +1 for each module.

Just deleting or adding modules doesn't change that setting automatically.

It probably should, but it doesn't.

here's a better idea of what I'm trying to do. id like to keep the rack length the same at 21 modules, but am trying to get the point IO to 'ignore' the missing modules. i dont want to shorten the rack as i dont want to change all of the program.

image_6487327.jpg

In general, the purpose of 1734-ARM modules is to allow you to modify a POINT assembly without re-addressing the logic.

You can also put in other modules, and inhibit the connection. The ARM's are supposed to be cheaper than anything else, but that was before [gestures to everything].

Last edited:
here's a better idea of what I'm trying to do. id like to keep the rack length the same at 21 modules, but am trying to get the point IO to 'ignore' the missing modules. i dont want to shorten the rack as i dont want to change all of the program.

View attachment 64511

You can’t.

The cards missing are what would form the physical bus between the ones present.