1747-uic and windows 7

Hi all,

I just started a new job and they have a 1747-uic adapter for windows 7. I have tried connecting to a couple different processors using the AB-DF1/DH485 Driver and Selected the 1770-KF3/1747-KE Device with Error checking CRC. This will not let me see the processor. I have used this with XP and had no problems. Is there something different you have to do with windows 7 that I am not doing?

Thanks,
Dan

You're using the wrong driver. You need to use the "DH485 UIC Devices" driver. If it's not an option, you need to upgrade RSLinx.

Are you using the RS232 port or the RJ45 port? I've always had much better luck with the RJ45 port. And I'm running Windows 7 64 bit.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I am using the RS232 port trying to connect to a micrologix 1200 at the moment. I have tried the DF1/485. If I remember correctly the UIC 485 driver was for the RS 485.

How is the port on the ML1200 setup? DF1 or DH485?

The 1747-UIC will only work if the port on your ML1200 is configured for DH485.

Do you have the offline file? If so take a look at the channel configuration or post the file here ( zip it first).

1747-uic

Micky,

The MicroLogix 1200 is set for:
DF1 Full Duplex-Driver
Baud 19200
Parity None
Error: CRC

I am able to connect to a 5/03 DH 485 with the 1747-UIC.
I cannot connect to any via DF1 RS-232. I have made sure the switch is in the correct position. I have tried the DF1 Driver with the SLC device and also the 1747 KE device selected also. I have used the 1747 before but not on Window 7 32 bit. Any help would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks

The 1747-UIC is a USB to DH485 converter. It will not work with a port on your PLC configured for DF1 protocol.

You need a USB to serial adapter for your ML1200's serial port configured for DF1 protocol.

The "Keyspan USA-19HS is highly recommented.

Or one from site below with cables to fit your needs.

http://www.ind-concepts.com/Allen_Bradley_PLC_Cables.htm

Last edited:
I just tried using my 'official' 1747-UIC to connect to an old ML1000, using an 'official' 1761-CBL-PM02 cable. No luck, but my UIC may be defective. I had purchased the one from ind-concepts a while ago (Thanks, Mark!), because I questioned my UIC.

Next, I tried using this 'unofficial' UIC to connect, following the instructions in the AB manual exactly, starting on page 11.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/in/1747-in063_-en-p.pdf

IT WORKS!... (y)

While online, I double-checked the 'controller communications' tab, and it is definitely set to DF1.

Whether or not this applies to the 'official' UIC or not, I don't know. Like I said, I think that one is flaky, so I can't confirm this.

🍻

-Eric

Eric,
Your ML1000 has a feature called "Automatic Protocol Switching" which would allow you to use your UIC to connect to the ML1000 with its port configured for DF1. See pdf below for more info.

Your ML1000 has a feature called "Automatic Protocol Switching" which would allow you to use your UIC to connect to the ML1000 with its port configured for DF1.
Interesting... I never knew that!

I guess they forgot to include that feature on the ML1200s.

🍻

-Eric

P.S. This seems to prove that my 'official' UIC is indeed broken, since it doesn't connect.

Last edited: