1756-DH/RIO-D not showing in RS5000

AndrewB

hi all

Seeing as i cant get through to rockwell on their support line...

I have just installed a 1756-DH/RIO-D card into a control logix rack. L5561 processor and R13.03 software.

I cant add the new hardware as their is no option to choose a series D card?

I fixed the EDS up which made linx work, but RS5000 still doesnt give me a series D as an option.

Do i have to flash the proc to a newer rev. or what?

yep tried rev B & C with the exact keying turned off.

Still had the ! sign on the IO tree & the IO faulting

will have a play again tommorrow when its offline (its a turbine control system)

OFFICAL RESPONSE FROM ROCKWELL

um it should work in R13

Solution:
Controlflash the Proc to R15
I would rather not controlflash but looks like i might have too

Unless you are using at least one of the 2 channels for RIO the card should not be added to the I/O config.

Meaning, if you are only using this card for DH+ messaging/access, then delete it from the I/O config. It will still work for messaging and programming access without being in the I/O tree.

I think you will get the "!" and errors/faulting unless you use the card for RIO connections. This is one of the reasons for not adding it to the I/O config. unless you really need to. I don't think these errors are related to the revision issue you are asking about.

If the card will be used for RIO then yes it must be added to the I/O. I think I read somewhere to install it as a series C and it will work fine. Just turn off the exact match function when configuring it. If you are getting these errors while trying to connect RIO to it, then you DO have a problem. Perhaps the Rev. 15 will fix. I have been running V15 for several weeks without any problems.

RSL

RSL

We just installed a new ControlLogix application with the DHRIO Series D card and experienced the same things as you are seeing. Rockwell's response to us was that the Series D card will operate like you expect IF you are using R15 of RSLogix5000. Since we are using R13, we just have to live with it - it works fine, just doesn't act the same as the Series C cards.

Like it was said above - unless you are using RIO, you don't need to add it to the IO tree. If you are attempting to find the status of the card using the GSV function, you probably already that you can't use GSV unless it is in the IO tree. In that case, use a CIP message to the card to get information from it.

DIRIO ser D works just fine in ver 12, 13

Do not put it in I/O tree unless you have RIO to control.
Disable Electronic Key if getting mismatch fault.
Make sure firmware 6.2 used - don't use FW 6.1

yes, only using DH+ side of things.

Will have another shot at it this morning
(turbines are offline for an hour this morning)

i could browse through the card in linx happily, BUT i could not get RSVIEW SE to go past the card. It would get to where it normally shows the DH+/RIO icons and instead would show "bus" and thats are far as you could go, yet in rslinx you can go drill right through it and go online to the 504 which is hanging off it??

am i missing something??

its FW 6.2

Am I correct that the latest issue you are talking about occurs using RSLinx Enterprise as part of RSView SE Studio? You may want to check and see if there's a compatibility issue there.

I've never personally tried using the Series D DH/RIO card with RSLinx Enterprise, but I seem to recall issues similar to this where earlier versions of Linx Enterprise didn't support newer hardware.

Rick

yes, RSVIEW SE Studio & linx enteprise.

Linx is having no issues with the D series card after the eds was installed.

Last edited:
I've never had Linx Enterprise function when drilling down to an SLC or PLC processor. I've had to use Real RSLinx every single time.

The only other reliable method, is to build up messages in the CLX, and use Linx Enterprise to read only from the CLX.

Ive just come back from trying to do exactly what you said below.

problem, card is not installed in the IO tree so its not letting me pick slot 7 where the DH/RIO card is installed when i type in my path.

Proc in slot 0, DH+/RIO in 7
the dh+ node im after is 2

so the path should be 1,7,8#2 is that right?

The format for the path in a CIP message is:

1, 7 Backplane, slot 7
2, 2 Port A on the DHRIO, node 2

(It's 3, 2 if you want port B)

Refer to page 3-20 in publication 1756-UM514B-EN-P otherwise known as the DHRIO manual.

However, I'm not sure that is the way you want to do it. Check out chapter 6 in the same publication. They show examples for a DH+ style message where the path would be 1,7 and then select DH+ as the message type and enter the node number in a separate field. This is how I usually do it and it's pretty easy.

Good luck,