1756-IF16 Analog Input Module/Configuration

The manual doesn't specifically say, but the assumption can be made that the 4-20mA output is set for the calibrated flow range of the meter. The IF16 scaling can be set to represent the flow rate directly without the need for further scaling.

update: using a Druck loop calibrator I tested the signal; it read 0.00ma. The meter was setup up to read, EXT loop power and 4 to 20ma flow. I check the flowmeter 4 to 20 + and - leads NO Voltage. I cycled power on the unit and tested it again same results. :unsure: what am I missing.

I'd like to back up to the original post. Why are you using differential mode? The top diagram on page 60 of the manual shows how to wire a current input. Am I missing something?

There are 3 other analog inputs hooked up to this module. That was how the module was configured for those inputs.

I would think it should work either way, either single ended or differential.

maybe use your calibrator to source a 4-20mA signal directly to the PLC input and see if it comes in ok.

Your manual states the following " When power is on if there is zero output current (there shouldbe at least four mA even through a current meter) disconnect the field wiring and check the terminal block points for a voltage. Presence of a voltage (typically 20 to 30 volts) with no current flow indicates that the PolySwitch breakers have been tripped. Power must be turned off if the PolySwitch breakers are tripped in order for them to reset. They do not need to be replaced as a fuse. Maximum load resistance is 500 ohms.

It sounds like you cycled power and still did not see voltage correct?

If it were me, I would try to source my input card just to make sure i can verify 4/12/20mA comes in how i have it scaled. If that works, it could be time to call the flowmeter company.

You already verified the flowmeter has no output current or voltage. Seems that's were your problem lies.

No matter how your input card is setup, you should still be able to put a calibrator on the flowmeter and read a 4-20mA signal.

I can send the 4 to 20mA signal in to the card with my meter and it shows the value moving as normal. as I said before 4mA=0 and 20mA=162. I guess I will have to contact the manufacture.

I'm late to this discussion, but I'll tell you how I prefer to handle analog channels. In most cases, the analog resolution is higher than required (for example 32767 counts). I set scaling in the module to 0 - 10000. So for example, it you are reading a 4- 20 mA signal from a 5000 PSI pressure transducer, 4mA = 0 PSI and 20 mA = 5000 PSI. So then you can handle the math in your SCP or just use a Compute Statement. Example: Raw Input * Full Scale (5000 PSI)/10000 = 5000 PSI. If more accuracy is desired, you can divide by 1000 and get 50000. Then in your MMI display, you convert it to floating point and divide the tag by 10 and get 5000.0 (or divide by 100 in you math statement and then divide the tag by 100 in the MMI) to get 5000.00 PSI.
Pay attention to where the 250 ohm resistors are, if there is already one or more in the system on some existing displays or recording devices. You can usually connect your differential input right across that existing device using the 1 -5 VDC input mode instead of 4 -20 mA and it will act the same. This is useful when there are a few devices already in the 4-20 mA loop and you are running out of open circuit voltage to add another 250 Ohm resistor. So you just piggy back on to one that is already present using a 1-5 VDC input.
If you are going to do much of this work, 4-20 mA tools are important. Measuring is easy, but sourcing takes a bit more effort. Also, there are clamp on measuring devices that will permit you to make a quick check on a 4 - 20 mA current without disconnecting it. If your not familiar with this, you could Google "Fluke 771 Case Study". It's now on the Transcat website. It covers a field test that I did when these devices first became available.

update: using a Druck loop calibrator I tested the signal; it read 0.00ma. The meter was setup up to read, EXT loop power and 4 to 20ma flow. I check the flowmeter 4 to 20 + and - leads NO Voltage. I cycled power on the unit and tested it again same results. :unsure: what am I missing.

When you say "EXT loop power" are you talking about the Druck or the flow meter? I didn't look too closely at the manual since it stated that the instrument powers the loop, but if the FLOW METER is set up for EXT loop power then it seems you would need to power the loop externally, or change the meter programming for INTERNAL loop power.

I looked back in this tread but am not sure what line voltage you are using to feed this flow meter.

If you are feeding this flowmeter with 24vdc then you should have 24v+ on + of TB1 and 24v- on - of TB1
(check and make sure your polarity is connected this way)

If this is the case, then take your meter and see if you have voltage between - on TB1 and + on TB2.

If you do then connect your current loop wiring from the Analog Input of the PLC to these same terminals and see what you get.
So in other words forget about the - terminal on TB2, use the negative from the DC power source that is feeding the meter - on TB1 and pur the other wire on + on TB2.

If you are have real problems with this meter its not going to work anyway but you have nothing to loose by trying.

PS: Obviously if you are feeding TB1 with 115vac then dont do this!!!!

Edit: For those of you that read this post before I edited it, I went back and corrected the TB1 terminal designations in my post, after reading further into the manual I noticed that the termial designation changed from L2 to - and from L1 to + if the meter is purchased as 24vdc power.

Good Luck
BCS

Last edited:
When you say "EXT loop power" are you talking about the Druck or the flow meter? I didn't look too closely at the manual since it stated that the instrument powers the loop, but if the FLOW METER is set up for EXT loop power then it seems you would need to power the loop externally, or change the meter programming for INTERNAL loop power.

I got this from the manual.

All field wiring is made to the terminal board. There are two (optionally 3) terminal blocks.
Connect the input power to the three-position block TB1 according to TIC-436-1 the field wiring
diagram. Terminal Block TB2 carries the 4-20 mA flow signal and, if optionally ordered, TB3 carries
the 4-20 mA signal for the specified temperature range. Both current signals require a loop with a
maximum resistance of 500 ohms. The signals are powered by the internal electronics and must
not be connected to an external power supply.

DiodesD1 and D2 and Polyswitches PS6 and PS7 (auto reset thermal fuses) provide circuit
protection against accidental connection to an external voltage.

Reading on in the manual there is a trouble shooting section at the very end.

If non of the other stuff that has been sugested works out, then look at last page of this manual.

https://www.thermalinstrument.com/site/assets/files/1076/9500_rem__manual_text_110_vac600.pdf

It shows you a way to actually measure the Ohms on the 6 pins of the flow sensor itself to see if the sensor is good.

It also indicates that there is a spare sensor in this unit that you can connect to if the primary sensor should be bad.

I would check what I sugested earlier, and see if that works then double check this trouble shooting list, and move on to check the flow sensor and possibly connect to the back up sensor if nessisary.

Enjoy the rest of you weekend and let us know how it turns out on Monday. 🍺

BCS