1756-L71 Redundant Download

stretch_af

I have read through this pub: Rockwell Automation Publication 1756-RM010M-EN-P - November 2022

I have questions. The procedure in the pub above is more for updating firmware, not specifically program updates.

We have 2 redundant chassis with L71 processors, running firmware 24.052. EN2TR/C is at 10.007. RM2/A is at 20.007.

What we need to do is perform a download to add a remote I/O rack to the tree.

Is there a way to download the updated program to the secondary?
Then initiate a lock switchover to update the primary?
Or do we need to bite the bullet and take the system down for a few minutes?

Thanks
Justin

We could have added a ControlLogix chassis as a remote I/O while online. We were trying to save some $$. We have a 1769-AENTR on the shelf that we are trying to use. We could add the 1769-AENTR to the tree while online, just not any IO attached to it.

We could have added a ControlLogix chassis as a remote I/O while online. We were trying to save some $$. We have a 1769-AENTR on the shelf that we are trying to use. We could add the 1769-AENTR to the tree while online, just not any IO attached to it.
Ah, interesting. I know you can't add IO to a CompactLogix while online, so maybe that's part of the same limitation.

1769 IO is not supported by the ControlLogix Redundancy.
There are multiple technotes about that.
QA26592 is one of them.